Still Rough Idle-one more cry for help...

Charles G

92 SC, overheated, replaced water pump, had heads resurfaced, I reassembled, can't get smooth idle since, sometimes stalls when put in reverse, but runs well otherwise. New wires, new Motorcraft platinum plugs gapped carefully, new Motorcraft IAC, new O2 sensors (due to code). No check engine light, no codes left. IC tubes sealed carefully, Vacum about 17 or 18 at idle per dash gauge. Great acceleration and boost. Blew compressed air into MAF and idle did change, appears to be working. Idle speed about 750 rpm. New fuel filter, running out of things to check, could it be vacum leak, checked all fittings and clamped that I could see and reach. Thinking of doing the test for leaks, where you inject air into boost gauge nipple to check all vacum, fuel ingector and intake manifold seal. New air cleaner. Dealer could find nothing. What else is there to check, great car, about to get painted, need it to idle smooth..please help. :eek:

Well I don't know...

Maybe try a new cam position sensor. This sensor tells your fuel injectors when to fire. If that don't work try a new crank shaft position sensor. This sensors controls spark and timing. Do you have a big cam? How is your valve train. You say it is all new are you sure the valves a seating? Are you sure the crank and cam are lined up correctly? Good luck hope you figure it out. Idle speed is good that is in park right should be 650 in gear.

stocker 89 said:
Maybe try a new cam position sensor. This sensor tells your fuel injectors when to fire. If that don't work try a new crank shaft position sensor. This sensors controls spark and timing. Do you have a big cam? How is your valve train. You say it is all new are you sure the valves a seating? Are you sure the crank and cam are lined up correctly? Good luck hope you figure it out. Idle speed is good that is in park right should be 650 in gear.
Yes, 750 rpm in Park, stock original cam, I did not adjust valves after re-installing heads, heads were cleaned by machine shop, I carfully replaced rocker arms and push rods in same position as before disasembly. I did check torque on each rocker arm nut after reassembly. Would bad cam position and/or crank shaft position sensor generate codes in EEC version IV? Thanks for your advice. Also are there resistance values I can measure with and Ohm meter, to check if these sesors are good?

Last edited:
Back