No Brakes

Callmewhitexr7

Ok i was just driving and the pedal got really hard and both the anitlock and brake lights are on. what is wrong? I read that it could be the accumulator, pump, or relay. weres the relay at for the brakes. Please help I have to have my car for work tuesday and have no idea what is wrong with my brakes.
thanks

NICK

The hydraulic pump motor relay and the anti-lock power relay are on the firewall (passenger end) opposite the connector for the code reader.

thanks i found the relay and jumped the wires and the pump came on so i put in a new one and guess what, yep you got it I have brakes. thanks for the help.

NICK

Not trying to hijack your thread but my buddy has a similar problem. His pump keeps running. Is it the relay or is there a sensor that he is missing somewhere. I don't like to mess with these brake systems. In december, my 90 caught on serious fire because the abs pump kept running. Thanks in advance. BTW he keeps pulling the fuses for the pump motor after the pump is charged and gets a good half hour out of it before he needs to put the fuse back in.

Joe

I'd check the pressure switch next to the pump motor. It controls the operation of the pump.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!
today i leave to get some things to prepare my car for the track this sat comming up, and as i go down my road, a little decline, i press my brake pedal, hard and didnt work.. i was in quick shock and grabbed the e-brake and slowed down luckly by that(e-brake lines need to be redone doesnt work that great. nor did i think to downshift :confused: ). this happened to me about a week ago in my driveway just when i moved it over and i didnt look into it and then i took it out since a few times and my brakes were fine so i didnt think of it.. so now i was stuck and pissed and thought my Brake master finally went. then i searched and got this thread, and i go to look at my brake relay, built up grimy tanish junk in it, i got some electronics cleaner from my work that they stopped carrying and i sprayed it all and cleaned the contacts and put die electric greas (spark plug grease) on the relay tabs so it wont do that again.. what can i say !!! like 75% increase in my brakes ! i swear i used to push my pedal down and it would go down only a little bit and the brakes would work but it would get hard and the pedal never seemed to go to low. all the years i had it and redid all the brakes since 99 a few times .. now i can push the brake pedal alot lower and have awesome brakes, especially when i slam on them !!! i cant believe the dam relay being dirty did THAT much.. i think everyone should clean out there relay with some electronics cleaning solution and use the die electric grease. i once got into an accident before because my brakes didnt work that great and i slamed on my brakes in gear but i didnt slow down that much and bang... i would of never imagined an INCREASE in brakeing for cleaning this dam thing.. i do have about 155-158k on my car now ? i'm about to clean the other relay next to it not sure what it is but i can just imagine it must look like the brake one inside.. So thanks again tech ppl !!! and i thought for a bit i wasnt going to be able to go to the track this comming weekend, glad it happened now and not there..very easy fix :) all this time i just thought SC brakes just sucked :) thanks...Alex L

Last edited:
MercXr7-5speed said:
Not trying to hijack your thread but my buddy has a similar problem. His pump keeps running. Is it the relay or is there a sensor that he is missing somewhere. I don't like to mess with these brake systems. In december, my 90 caught on serious fire because the abs pump kept running. Thanks in advance. BTW he keeps pulling the fuses for the pump motor after the pump is charged and gets a good half hour out of it before he needs to put the fuse back in.

Joe

The ABS Pressure Switch can be purchased for 1/3rd the price of Ford by getting from General Motors. I got one for a 1988 Buick Reatta w/ ABS and it worked fine (Same Teeves system). Have part number if anyone interested. Putting the switch in is another story. If he doesn't change it soon he WILL burn up the ABS Motor and that isn't fun to replace either, nor is it inexpensive. Popping fuses isn't a fix, and a day will come when he'll wish he had brakes as he is headed into a crash.

MercXr7-5speed said:
Good find. I would like the GM part number if you still have it. You can e-mail me Jpapa@Joe-Papa.Com. Thank you.

Joe

''''''''This is from an older post of mine'''''''''
"GM Part #25530882 (Pressure Switch)
Paid $75.00 from http://www.buy-gm-parts.com/
Shipping will run $12 - $25 depending on how fast you want it.

Price is now $83.00 and part number not found. Basically click on "OEM Catalog" choose "1988 Buick Reatta" and then in the Brakes" section choose "Anti Lock" then "Pressure Switch". OR just phone or email them the part number direct. They shipped it out in two days to me, just UPS took forever.
Email Keith: parts@crowncadillacolds.com OR call Keith at 1-888-337-1094 ext-1127"

MercXr7-5speed said:

Joe
Try swapping the ABS (Brown Pump) relay before investing in the pressure switch. The relay can stick in either the open (no pump) or closed (constant pump) position when it fails. GPSorensen #MR120 costs around $15.00 (US).

Back