PDA

View Full Version : Highway Driving Mods?

ipeefreely
09-05-2004, 09:38 PM
HI guys,

I'm more of a highway cruiser than a 1/4mile or stop light racer. I am looking for some mods to improve I guess picking up speed at speed. Quickly passing cars or large trucks. I was thinking that gears 3.27s(I have stock 2.73s) would help. I was also considering a 10% pulley to quickly bring up boost but not push it too far just 10 psi max to not heat soak the IC and save the HGs.
My mods are listed in my sig so anything to add to them.

Any other suggestions for highway cruising?

Thanks for any replies,

Jay

93SuperCoupeBoy
09-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Getting a bigger throttle body and opening up the intake more would help, even with the 5% you have now. For highway like that you're going to want more power higher up the RPM range as you aren't getting off the line. 3.5" intake tube places power higher up the RPM band I believe, I could be wrong, but the 3" keeps a bit more low end power. Same with throttle bodies, bigger it is, the higher up the RPM band the power moves. Using the stock blower and plenum, a 70mm TB would be sufficient, as a 75mm won't get much more airflow using the stock plenum. Get a raised blower top as well. A DIC would also keep intake charge temps lower and give some extra power.

Just some things to think about, don't need it ALL, most will directly affect power though.

Nick

turbospeed
09-06-2004, 12:30 AM
i guess you have a 5speed.

a aluminium flywheel und pulleys and a al jackshaft pulley will help a lot also get the exhaust done.

TbirdSC93
09-06-2004, 12:32 AM
I imagine an exhaust set-up with the least amount of restrictions would help up top??

turbospeed
09-06-2004, 01:04 AM
sorry didnt read you mods , get some ported manifolds or headers and some gears i think 3.27 would be rigth and the aluminium flywheel would help a lot

fast Ed
09-06-2004, 01:19 AM
The 3.27 or 3.31 ratio works awesome on the highway with a 5-speed. No need to pull it back to 4th, just roll on the throttle in 5th gear and go. ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

89_Red_Xr7
09-06-2004, 03:21 AM
The 3.27 or 3.31 ratio works awesome on the highway with a 5-speed. No need to pull it back to 4th, just roll on the throttle in 5th gear and go. ;)

cheers,
Ed N.

I'll second that, with 3.27's 5th gear is awesome on the highway, lots of power, but not turning too many rpm's (~2800 at 75-80). If you really need to pass someone in a jiffy, just pop it into 4th and watch the mph climb...... :D

Andrew ;)