Possessed Lighting

micksix

I FINALLY finshed up the HG's :D, that was an experience for another thread...

Now that my bird is up and running again I have a new problem. The lighting appears to be controlling itself. The first symptom was the interior lights came on and stayed on by themselves. Since I wasn't done working on it, I disconnected the neg battery cable. Today as I took it for a test ride, the same thing happened with the interior lights as I was driving. When I got back home, I pulled the fuse for the interior lights. As the car sat idling in the driveway, the running lights came on by themselves. If I turned the car off they would stay off. Checking it a few times the problem seemed to be intermittent. I have read the thread for "blinking headlights". Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting or think that this could be the same problem?

I have also verified that everything is hooked up the same way it was taken off for the HG project. The only electrical component changed was a new neg cable. That is grounded to both the block and the chassis. Any Ideas??? Thanks!

This problem seems easier to resolve than the "blinking headlights" problem because in this case the interior lamps AND headlamps come on by themselves. The only thing that I can think of that is common to both is the main headlight switch.

J.D. said:
This problem seems easier to resolve than the "blinking headlights" problem because in this case the interior lamps AND headlamps come on by themselves. The only thing that I can think of that is common to both is the main headlight switch.

Isn't that the same item that has a recall?

The ignition switch had a recall. I never heard of the headlight switch being recalled. What model year are we talking about?

my early model sc was doing the interior light thing. I found that my door switch had been pushed into the cab so far that when the door was closed it didnt open the circuit and the light and door ajar bell were constantly on.

J.D. said:
The ignition switch had a recall. I never heard of the headlight switch being recalled. What model year are we talking about?

Hey J.D. here is a link:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44113&highlight=headlight+recall+ford

I followed the instructions from metalman, in about the middle of the page for the recall info. It didn't show any other recalls. The model years are talked about there also. Mine is a '93. I am also seeing reference to a multifunction-switch, which looks to be associated to similar problems.

Bleed_Ford_Blue said:
my early model sc was doing the interior light thing. I found that my door switch had been pushed into the cab so far that when the door was closed it didnt open the circuit and the light and door ajar bell were constantly on.

That's interesting, but that wouldn't explain the running lights coming on by themselves.
:D

micksix said:
Hey J.D. here is a link:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44113&highlight=headlight+recall+ford

I followed the instructions from metalman, in about the middle of the page for the recall info. It didn't show any other recalls. The model years are talked about there also. Mine is a '93. I am also seeing reference to a multifunction-switch, which looks to be associated to similar problems.

The multifunction switch is the turn signal stalk switch. I has nothing to do with the interior lights. That's why I suspect the main headlight switch.
If you do decide to replace it yourself, then don't follow the instructions in the above thread and pull on the switch knob to remove it. You will need to insert a small screwdriver in the hole on its side.

Back