I think i hate this car..help?

quik9531

Ok so as you may remember I did my heater core which was not fun but I got that done and then the water pump started pouring out coolant so i replaced that..so now I thought every thing would be nice now but i guess im wrong because theres two problems, one the heat only gets hot when the rpms are high, when i'm getting on it the heat gets hot but when the rpms drop the heat loses its temp...and now the new problem, its leaking coolant somewhere else now...i jacked it up and its dripping in 3 spots by the starter and by the tranny...are there coolant lines back here because i really didnt know there were???? thanks and by the way this is a regular t-bird with an automatic..3.8 L thanks guys

You may have a loose hose clamp on the heater core hoses at the firewall.
They can drip or run along the firewall and onto the ground near the transmission. And since the hoses are on the same side as the starter...
As for the temperature either you have an air pocket that needs purged or a sticky thermostat.
My 86 3.8 Mustang had a flakey cooling system. After replacing the engine it nearly overheated due to an air pocket under the thermostat.
The thermostats for the 3.8 engines have a check ball to let the air out as you are filling it. If your thermostat does not have a check ball I would replace it with one that does.

Once you refill the system it will need to be warmed up (not real hot) and the level checked.

Hope this helps.
Bill

Try dusting talcum powder on the engine, then run it and check for the source of the leak.

The temp only getting hot at high rpm's is because you have air in your coolant system. Pain in the rear to get out the air on my car (SC). Should be some sort of air outlet to burp like on ours. Ours is next to the right side of the supercharger. As far as the leak goes there are two coolant lines on the passenger side going to the firewall and into the heater core (Also on earlier SC's there is a coolant line(s) going to the throttle body). Are you sure you tightened up the two hoses going into the firewall when you did your heater core? I'd look at that first, and also get all the air out of your coolant system (usually at the highest point of the engine) and make sure your heat selector (on Dash) is set to it's hottest point when filling.

blue94sc said:
You may have a loose hose clamp on the heater core hoses at the firewall.
They can drip or run along the firewall and onto the ground near the transmission. Bill
I concur. Same problem I had... didn't get the clamps tight enough and ended up with a leak. :(

Back