PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt two 5spds this week and discovered a couple of useful tips.

Mike Puckett
09-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I've always found it a challenge to set the upper shaft's front and rear bearings in the outer races and the lower counter shaft bearings. This time I coated the bearings and the races really good with lubricant before I assembled them and things went together so much easier and smoother. I didn't get anything stuck and the bearing covers bolted right up. I lightly tightened the front bearing cover bolts, torqued the center bearing cover bolts, and then went back to seal and reseat the front cover and torque it down. I didn't need to seat the bearing races with a big wooden dowel or force them, they slipped right in. There's no end play in the shaft and it turns freely. I used GM Syncromesh fluid this time, $7.25/qt. It's slightly more viscous than Mercon but is a lot more slippery.
Ford indeed is no longer stocking the blockers. My dealer found me some but it'll be aftermarket from now on. I also found that the 3rd/4th gear synchro cluster on the SC is different from the F-150's. The F-150 version, the groove in the slider for the shift fork is more narrow than the SC's and our shift fork won't fit into it. I suspect that a machine shop could widen the groove to make it fit.
I also learned not to pull the shaft out of the 5th/rev shifter fork. There is a spring and a steel ball for the detent inside and they can fall out much too easily and go rolling. And, predisassembly photos can save a lot of aggravation and unnecessary work but only if you bother to check them during reassembly, duh.

Slysc
09-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking into rebuilding my trans. What parts should I be looking for for the rebuild if the trans works well exept for the fact that it grinds when it goes into 2nd, 3rd, and 4th? The dealership had blockers but the "syncro clusters" weren't available they said.

Mike Puckett
09-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Dan, you'll need the blockers, the 2 big nuts on the ends of the shafts, and you might need to change the flat thrust bearing between the 2 upper shafts. The little oil impeller on the front of the input shaft might be broken but it doesn't need to be removed if it's Ok. Oh, and maybe the seals. Southern Gear usually has the parts. The synchro clusters don't need to be changed unless the little teeth are all chewed off. I ended up buying a hydraulic shop press from Harbor Freight for $100 so I don't have to take the output shaft to a machine shop to remove the bearing anymore. I'm anxious to see what the problem in my other one is that's whining so bad.

XR7 Dave
09-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Dan, you'll need the blockers, the 2 big nuts on the ends of the shafts, and you might need to change the flat thrust bearing between the 2 upper shafts. The little oil impeller on the front of the input shaft might be broken but it doesn't need to be removed if it's Ok. Oh, and maybe the seals. Southern Gear usually has the parts. The synchro clusters don't need to be changed unless the little teeth are all chewed off. I ended up buying a hydraulic shop press from Harbor Freight for $100 so I don't have to take the output shaft to a machine shop to remove the bearing anymore. I'm anxious to see what the problem in my other one is that's whining so bad.

To remove the cluster, simply tap the tailshaft on the cement floor a couple times. The bearing will pop right off and then I use the 5th gear to tap it back on.

Mike, does your other tranny make noise in all gears except 4th? I'm having the same problem in my Dodge truck and I think it is the bearing that goes between the two shafts because 4th is the only gear where that bearing is not moving. Mine is noisy as heck in all gears but 4th. Sounds like an old farm truck. :/ It all started when I was pulling about 4000lbs more than GVWR up a long 8% grade in the PA mountains. WOT in 2nd gear for too long will do that. :(

I prefer the Ford seals, they are much better quality that SG has. I also make my own shims out of shimstock that I got at a machine shop. If you are going to race this tranny, make sure the slider rings are in perfect shape. If the teeth are worn at all it's gonna be slow to shift.

Mike Puckett
09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Now you tell me, after I give the US Chinese balance of trade another $100 kick in the butt. I can't even take it back because the boxes are sitting out in the Hur/TS Frances rain. By the time this incessant drizzle stops they'll be mush. One of my customers suggested today that when I reseat the rear output shaft bearing that instead of 'pressing' it on with a hammer and pipe, I heat it up in the oven to 250/300 degrees. Then shoot the shaft with a small can of R134 and the bearing will slide right on. The tranny'll fit on the press if I could be sure I wouldn't drop it trying to put it there.
My whine, my tranny's that is, is in all gears and is only noticeable when I accelerate. It was worse in lower gears but seemed to do it in any gear. I suspect one of the center main bearings is causing it. It got pretty warm after an hours drive so I think something large is involved. It seemed to turn freely before it was installed so it'll be interesting to see what's wrong with it. On a previous rebuild I once damaged the flat thrust bearing between the shafts and the shafts bound right up when I torqued all the bolts. I'm really hoping it's a bearing and nothing's torn up otherwise.

XR7 Dave
09-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Don't feel bad Mike, I did the same thing buying a press. The press works great but after doing a couple that way taking the time to set it all up in a the press, one time when my press was buried in junk and I thought to myself "hmmm, those bearings always press off real easy, I wonder...." needless to say, my press is now officially collecting dust until I find another use for it. LOL

Mike Puckett
09-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I got the tranny swapped out today and lo and behold, it still whined, just as bad! What is going on? And then I noticed that when I accelerated and the boost gauge hit 2 psi it fell flat on it's face. Let off of the gas and it picks back up just fine. Whenever the boost gauge came close to 0 psi it started to whine but if I accelerated slowly and kept the vacuum up no noise, Hhmmmm. The more the boost, the more the whine. Got home and popped the hood and looked around and there it was like a sore thumb and I'd missed it totally for the last 2 months. The blower top collar nut was completely unscrewed with the upper tube nicely snuggled into but not sealed in the adapter opening. It apparently was the blower whining and not the tranny, whew. So, I apparently don't have a bad tranny problem and I have regained confidence in my rebuilds. The heat was just from the exhaust system and my imagination got carried away. It did have a severely leaking slave cylinder that needed to be replaced. Also, it was chattering in 1st so I think the input shaft bearing might be wornout since the new tranny doesn't chatter. I'll retape the upper IC tube ends and retorque it tonight and drive it to work tomorrow for a road test.