Cobra rear brake conversion caliper relocation brackets

fast Ed

Hey guys

I've got my friend who made the rear caliper relocation brackets for the Cobra brakes on my SC, making up some more sets.

These are brackets made from the plans off Doug Fraleigh's site, http://home.comcast.net/~dlfraleigh/Article.html . Pretty straightfoward design, they have worked well for two years on my SC, and that's with some open-track days on race tires stressing the brakes too.

I'm not looking to make my fortune from these. These are just to provide an item to fellow MN-12 owners wanting to do the Cobra brake upgrade, that do not have access to a person or a shop who can do the fabrication.

The price for 2006 is $80 US for the pair, with the needed hardware, including shipping in the lower 48. E-mail or private message me if you're interested ... fastedn2001@yahoo.ca Extra $5 for air mail. Price has gone up $5 this year because of the strength of the Canadian dollar vs. the U.S. greenback.

We also looking have available centering rings for the rotors, for people who don't want to change to the Mustang hubs with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern ... there is a size difference in the diameter of the T-Bird hub face compared to the hub hole on the Mustang rotors. $25 for the pair when purchased with the brackets.

PLEASE NOTE ... people who have purchased these brackets, and prospective buyers. If you have the original rear calipers on an 89 - 92 car, it is important to make sure that you DO NOT let the brake pads wear down excessively when running those calipers over the Cobra rotors. Due to the difference in thickness between the early MN-12 rear rotors, compared to the later MN-12 and Cobra rotors, the potential exists for the caliper piston to come out of the housing bore, creating a severe loss of fluid, if the pad material becomes too thin. My apologies for not being aware of this sooner, it was just brought to my attention by Richard at North Race Cars, who produce brake adapters for various Ford applications.

cheers,
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Last edited:
We're doing another batch in January, anyone else interested?

Price is now $75 shipped, due to the strength of the Canuck dollar vs. the greenback.

thx,
Ed N.

Ed

I am interseted in these relocation brackets that you are offering. I guess I need to know if I need to use them. Here is what I plan to run. I am planning on running 13in Cobra front brakes and 12in Cobra rear brakes. I am switching to the SN95 bolt pattern too. Do I need to use these brackets to mount the rear Cobra calipers on my 90 SC?

Shane

From what I understand, Cobra calipers will bolt directly on to an MN-12 car with the 11.65" rotors ... BUT ... the emergency brake cables hook up quite differently, and some fabbing is needed to make that work. The brackets I'm selling are made to relocate the original SC calipers to work with the 11.65" Cobra rotors.

The main reason to stay with the SC calipers is that they have larger pistons, and use pads with a larger surface area, than the Cobra calipers. Plus, you already have SC calipers ... less parts to buy. ;) And no issues with hooking up the lines or cables, since you're keeping the same clampers.

cheers,
Ed N.

Hmm I will have to keep this in mind Ed. I guess I have to deside on what I want. All I know is I want the car to stop and consistantly stop without brake fade.

Shane

Shane, as you probably know, I do some open-track events in my SC. A few of the tracks I've run at have been very tight circuits with some hard braking zones. Since we did the Cobra brake conversion on my car, I've never encountered any brake fade on the track or the street. This is running OE Ford pads as well, not even aftermarket stuff. And the car gets run at the track events on Hoosier Grand-Am Cup race radials, probably one of the grippiest DOT track tires available.

As an example, at Watkins Glen in New York, I would see around 120 mph on the back straight, and be able to get it down for the chicane entrance at approx. 60 mph, in less than 250 feet ... with a consistent hard pedal, and never any rotor issues either. I have gone through a few sets of the front pads, and one set of rears, since the spring of 2002 when the swap was made on my car. If it was run only on street tires, I'm guessing that I would have gone through maybe one or two sets of front pads, at the most.

Yup, as I mentioned in the original post, these are the same brackets as I'm running on my SC. Had them on since spring 2002 with no problems. I know that Doug Fraleigh has had them on his 95 for a few years longer than I have.

cheers,
Ed N.

We have a new batch of these ready now, if anyone is interested.

Still $75 with the hardware, including shipping to the lower 48 states.

cheers
Ed N.

let me get this strait, its the stuff to use the rotors only right? not the calipers? are these available at this time?
thanks,
fred

The brackets will look like the ones pictured off Doug Fraleigh's site:

Picture4.jpg

http://www.patmedia.net/fraleigh/Article.html has the tech article with all the info about completing this swap. What I'm selling is the pair of fabricated adapter brackets, including hardware, that allow you to install Cobra 11.65" rotors on the rear of an MN-12 car, reusing your original calipers.

As noted in my original post to this thread, these work better with the 93 - 97 MN-12 calipers, because the Cobra rotors are thinner like the later MN-12 rotors. Otherwise, with the early calipers and pads, you have to keep an eye on the pad wear, and not let them get worn down too much ... the potential is there for the pistons to come out of the caliper bores, if the pads wear down to the minimum, with the 89 - 92 calipers.

I have 6 sets available now, ready to ship.

thanks,
Ed N.

Guys, you can either send me payment through PayPal (fastedn2001@yahoo.ca), or an international money order. PayPal has to be from your bank account or existing balance, I only have a Basic account. So it doesn't allow me to accept payments made with a credit card.

Send me a message if you need my address, for mailing a money order.

These will ship out within 24 hours of receving payment (weekdays of course). I send them through the postal service, they generally take 7 - 10 business days to arrive.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed,

With the bigger rotor on the back can you still use that factory 16" wheels? I may be interested in a set of these here shortly. I'll let you know.

Shane

Shane, 16" wheels will clear the Cobra brakes. I have a set of Mustang GT 16" wheels that I use for drag tires, they go over no problem.

cheers
Ed N.

Back