Air Dam & Upshift Light

aviationstation

All,

I have a 95 SC 5 Speed that (I assume) should have an upshift light. I have yet to see it on the dash cluster & wonder if it was phased out in 95 or am I just blind & the bulb is out.

Second. It looks like the lower/center of the car should have an air dam. I see the high-quality Ford plastic push pins, and a space of exposed lower core support that appears to have been under another part. Is there a plastic air dam at the front (other than the lower portion of the bumper)? If so, any ideas where one might be found? Is it the same for 4.6L as it is for the 3.8?

Thanks!

M Randolph

Several people here use the air dam from a 92-98 Pontiac Grand AM.

i have a note that the part number is:
GM P/N #22635885.
Though I haven't verified this.

I think the Ford part is obsolete...

pic of the gm air dam on my car

DSC00285.jpg

Do a search on the upshift light. If I remember right, it isnt used on any of the 5 speed SC's. It's used on the auto's to help prevent the torque converter from balooning. Good luck, JJ

Why wouldn't the upshift light not be used on the 5 speeds? With it being a manual, I would have thought the upshift light would be used. Most people I know that have an automatic, they just put it in drive/overdrive and leave it there. They rarely use the lower gears. I'm not disagreeing with you - just saying that it doesn't make sense to me. I'll have to search for that as well.

And if you do have an upshift light, I believe it'll be in the tach at the bottom.

-Andy "Melon"

aviationstation said:
Anyone have an idea on the Upshift Light?
If its there, it'll be on the tach dial on the bottom left. Turn the key on to the run position and see if it lights up.

yup

Its meant to direct air into the radiator. The gm air dam is bigger, thus more air. Too bad on my car its only 1.5" off the ground. That makes for a lot of scraping

Tazer999 said:
yup

Its meant to direct air into the radiator. The gm air dam is bigger, thus more air. Too bad on my car its only 1.5" off the ground. That makes for a lot of scraping

Does it help/work? Mine has about 1/4 ripped off due to curbs. I'm thinking it's not that big a deal since the radiator get air around our bumpers and effects pretty good?

Mine runs a LOT cooler now but I am not sure how much is in part due to the air dam. I also removed the ac condensor when I put the air dam on

Tazer999 said:
Mine runs a LOT cooler now but I am not sure how much is in part due to the air dam. I also removed the ac condensor when I put the air dam on

What's a lot cooler? I don't peg over the N in normal at all, even on hard running (you didn't hear that I run hard with bad motor mounts, Rick!).

You guessed it, I'm trying to figure out if I need to go buy another one :)

My shift light (89 SC) only lights up when i need to go to 4th or 5th... otherwise it doesnt work. my 94 LX had one too but it never lit up.

The upshift light......

THe upshift light is not an "UPSHIFT LIGHT" as you know it. It was installed to tell the driver on automatic vehicles that the engine is revving too high in a gear and to "UPSHIFT" into the next gear. This was used as a previous poster had mentioned as a way to make sure that someone did not drive the car in 3rd gear at 110 mph for an hour. It warns of high coolant temps and oil temps.

Good luck.

Don

But the only way an auto would hold 3rd at 110 is if you took it out of overdrive... I would think someone would have to be missing a few screws to turn a car that hard without overdrive. my LX always went to 4th before 110

1QuikV6 said:
But the only way an auto would hold 3rd at 110 is if you took it out of overdrive... I would think someone would have to be missing a few screws to turn a car that hard without overdrive. my LX always went to 4th before 110

You know those people that have their turn signal on for miles? THEY would be those folks that would put it on cruise at 90 out of OD, and 200 miles later wonder what the problem was.

1QuikV6 said:

As Don said earlier, the shift light is not an indicator of when to shift, it is a warning light (with chime) telling you to upshift (reduce rpms) or within 20 seconds the EEC will cut fuel to force the rpms down.

My shift light only comes on in third at WOT when rpms are past 5000. This only happens on the dyno or the track when the car must be held in 3rd and revved hard. When I had 4.10 gears it would come on everytime I did a hard downshift from OD at cruising speed. With the 3.73s it doesn't come on until about 90 mph in third, and only if your standing on it. I can still get to about 125 mph before hitting the rev limiter in third.

Since neither a dyno pull or a run down the track last 20 seconds (after light comes on), it isn't really a problem. If I was trying to race on the highway it might be a problem, because the Lentech VB will not allow a WOT upshift into OD. And it won't hold OD unless you gradually increase the speed or are are already going about 90 mph. Dropping the throttle quickly at speeds less than that will cause a downshift to third and will rev the crap out of the motor, especially with a non locking converter like I've got.

David

Back