Rear wheels won't align

lgarner

The last time I had a wheel alignment done the mechanic said the right rear would not come into spec. Is there a bushing worn out? Is this something I can fix myself?

Regards,
Lee

What spec was out, camber, toe? Has the car been in an accident? Stock, or lowered ride height?

Help us help you. :)

cheers,
Ed N.

Here Is What Happened To Me

I had my 90 XR7 aligned 6 months ago at my local Midas. I had a personal mechanic there and he was good. He looked up the adjustments on the Hunter alignment machine and could not find a CAMBER (Top of the rear wheel moves in and out) adjustment. I believe you can only adjust the the TOE (wheel moves left to right) and the CAMBER on the rear. Anyway, I checked my service manual and there is an internal ecentric bushing in the upper control arm that is adjusted by loosing the nut and turning the bolt. The Hunter did not show this ecentric bolt adjustment. All of the other adjusting bolts have an ecentric washer under the head of the bolt. Quiz your alignment guy to see if he tried to adjust the CAMBER.

To my knowledge, their are only 2 things that would prevent proper aligment: worn suspension bushings or frame damage from an accident.

Hope this helps!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

The mechanic was turning an eccentric washer on a horizontal brace. It was turned all the way and still wouldn't come into spec (I think TOE).

The car is stock ride height and has never been in an accident. I have had the car for ~10 years and never had a problem with alignment before. Probally something is just worn out.

Back