engine oil cooler: is it needed??

89cougar

The surface of the oil cooler where the oil filter gasket seals has collapsed inward where there is no vertical support (the oil passage channels pass into the heat exchanger area). This is probably due to overtorquing the oil filter in combination with a poor design that eliminated the vertical support. I spent a few hours yesturday removing the oil cooler from the engine, screwing the oil filter directly onto the engine and connecting the antifeeze coolant lines that went to the oil cooler.

My question is what benefit does the oil cooler have? This cooler uses engine temperature water to cool the oil to around 190 F at its most. What temp does the engine oil normally run under non stress conditions? What about oil temps during conditions where the engine is under boost conditions? At normal highway speeds the engine runs on the vaccume side of the boost guage and doesn't normally run under constant boost until largely illegal speeds are attained. This, I expect is where the oil cooler my give more of a benefit from the extra heat produced from the power produced by the supercharger.

Any Techies have ideas on the true benefits of oil cooler???

I would keep the oil cooler. The temp of a combustion chamber can be 2000 degrees and the oil gets very close to the combustion chamber. Then factor in that you own a car with a supercharger that pushes 12 PSI. I believe the rule of thumb is that for every 3 PSI boost the air temp raises 100 degrees. The intercooler cools down the air but not back to the outside temp.

So all together there is the outside air being compressed into the engine at 12 PSI wich makes the air very hot. Then it goes through the intercooler, cooling it down a bit. Then that hot air is compressed again by the compression stoke of the engine. Then there is an explosion.... So yeah i would keep it.

Oh by the way, i believe that the supercharger should be at full boost around 3500 RPMs if you have to go really fast to get full boost you might have other problems.

Good luck!

I would'nt leave home without an oil cooler on any boosted engine, I've owned several down through the years and everyone of them sported an oil cooler. You should avoid oil temps higher than 220 or so because the oil begins to break down at those temps.
You have a PM.

Well, I agree that there is extra heat produced from an engine under boost and it will help to have a oil cooler on those engines used for long periods of time under stress. What I am trying to figure out is whether this engine needs a cooler if it is used under normal driving conditions with minimal use of the boost ie. starting out from a red light, passing other traffic etc.

What is a normal engine oil operating temp??
What is the frequency/danger of the oil/antifreeze barrier being compomised (rusted through) in the oil cooler?
What have others done to repair the warping gasket surface so I can fix and reinstall the cooler again?

thanks for all your input

I really do need a few more ideas about this eninge oil cooler. If ANYONE has more input please add your comments, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Well I would'nt say its absolutely neccassary,but it sure is benafical. My earlier model Dodge turbo's did,nt use an oil cooler but all there turdo stuff at the end of there turbo production had them. Another thing to consider is that in the warm up stages of the engine this water cooled cooler may help the engine oil achieve opporating temp sooner which is another good thing.
I really dont see any way to repaire the gasket serface once it has been crushed and deformed. Now as for the cooler itself rusting through and mixing the oil and water. I have not seen or heard of that happening but I would say that of course its a possability, thats just one of the reasons that boosted engines deserve more maintenance and observation than NA engines.

i re-routed my cooling lines (got rid of my heatercore and A/C) and kept the stock oil cooler, due to me calling rich at MN12performance and he did not agree with going aftermarket and just sticking with stock, (due to a lack of oil on start up in a specific place ?) and not removing it but i would like to run a cooling line from my waterpump directly up to the spot on the intake for shorter path, and less hoses, now i have a big hose goin from the intake hole to the oil cooler than from the oil cooler goin to the water pump, but i dont think it looks that great, anyone have oil coolers and are happy with them ? or have comments of aftermart oil coolers like the +'s and -'s of them ? i imagine it would work alot better due to it being on its own in the engine compartment, but was a lilttle afraid about what Rich told me ...would like to here some tech's opinions on that one Alex L

Last edited:
I am not sure how important it is but I took mine off years ago after the surface was damaged. I have not had any problems except for a head gasket a few years later.

Back