Low Oil Pressure

1QuikV6

I noticed that after an oil change my Oil Pressure sits right at the N in NORM on my gauge... is that usual for them? is it something I should look into? It jus worries me.

First check the oil level and check for big leaks. If thats ok, with the car off disconnect the sending unit wire from the sending unit. Ground the wire to the block. Hold it to the block if you have to. Have an assistant turn the key to the run position( not the start position). The needle on the guage should max out. If it doesnt, the wire connection might have high resistance or the guage is bad. If it does max out and the car is running fine. The sending unit may be bad. If the car is idling like crap and everything else checks out fine then you have oil pressure problems.

I understood that the oil pressure switch is an on/off sensor meaning that the gauge needle will be either less than NORM or within the NORM band. Am I wrong?

You are correct, the gauge is nothing more than an on off switch might as well be an idiot light, worthless.
Quick since you're concerned about your pressure,(rightfully so) I recomend borrowing or renting a mechanical oil pressure test gauge because thats the only way you're gonna get at the truth of it.

well i checked the oil level and its perfect... i let it run and no leaks or anything... i guess its just the gauge. it just had me worried there. is there a screen or something on the oil pump that might be clogged or something?

it doesnt knock or anything, still very smooth.

So basically its ok as long as its in the NORM range... that makes me feel MUCH better.

Last edited:
1QuikV6 said:
well i checked the oil level and its perfect... i let it run and no leaks or anything... i guess its just the gauge. it just had me worried there. is there a screen or something on the oil pump that might be clogged or something?

it doesnt knock or anything, still very smooth.

So basically its ok as long as its in the NORM range... that makes me feel MUCH better.

Yes theres a screen on the pickup tube but its highly unlikely that its stopped up, I've just never seen it on these engines. Your oil level may be good but your not out of the woods yet. Idealy you want at least 30 psi at idle with a warm engine, the bad part is the stock sender unit will only report a loss of oil pressure once the pressure drops to less than 10 psi. Check it with the test gauge to be 100% sure and you'll sleep better.

I wouldnt think it would have an oil pressure problem at 153k with synthetic oil used in it... Maybe I need some A pillar gauges with a numerical OP gauge. I hate idiot gauges and idiot lights... and WHY didnt the SC get a voltmeter gauge too? no room i guess....

mine is at 221 k miles and its a rocket all still stock but head porting and exhaust i plugged the oil sender cause it kept leaking i put 3 sending units in and they would only last about a year and start leaking ill run it till i hear it knocking then park it, i also change oil faithfully at 3 kmiles i used to use kendall gt1 until they moved to cali , now i use the old kendall called brad penn the only oil from pennsylvania

Last edited:
Here is an idea for gauges mainly for troubleshooting and maintance. These are 1 1/2 '' mini gauges. They are the electrical type, but I checked them against mechanical type when I installed them. I installed extra sending units for the oil and temp, so I still have the stock gauges inside.
Work great for when you have that I just need to know moment.
I have the gauge lights on a switch next to the panel in case that moment comes at night.

http://members.cox.net/mechanicdbd/gauges_0032.jpg

Take Care
Denny

Underhood guages

I have an Engine Hour meter under the hood of my Big Block 68 XR-7. Great idea of the triple guage pod under the hood.

68COUGAR

Back