Oil?

Evil Inside

I discovered that taking my truck to the Mobil place to have my oil changed resulted in more headache than if I were to do it myself. Yesterday, I changed the oil for the first time in any vehicle...but it was time to learn. Everything went smoothly and got the filter fitted with the correct amount of oil. Well, I keep checking the sump and around the drain plug there is a small amount of oil dripping out. I tightened the plug as much as possible...

Any ideas? Would I need a new drain plug or perhaps a rubber gasket/O ring?

TJ make sure it isn't cross-threaded, I don't think any drain plugs have a
o-ring but i may be wrong. On a side note did you put a little oil on your finger and lightly coat the rubber gasket on the oil filter? Make sure you do that unless there's a film of powder on it.

Jake said:
TJ make sure it isn't cross-threaded, I don't think any drain plugs have a
o-ring but i may be wrong. On a side note did you put a little oil on your finger and lightly coat the rubber gasket on the oil filter? Make sure you do that unless there's a film of powder on it.
some cars have o-rings, my TC did...havent changed the oil on the SC yet....Ive heard many times where places like jiffy lube forget/lose the o-ring.

Its also possible that its just left over old oil that you found....to make sure its not leaking, drive it around and throw a piece of cardboard under there and see if you find anything

Thanks guys.

I did coat the gasket Jake. Thanks for the heads up though.

I bought a set of sockets and tightened the plug another half turn or so and I think that fixed it. I didn't notice an O-ring when I removed it...but I might buy one at the Depot for a few cents just in case.

Back