heating problems

cougar20th

well as winter is coming i dread driving my sc again. its a winter car. my big problem is that once it gets real cold out I end up with heating problems. Ill let the car warm up for 10-15 minutes. gets nice and warm. then once i get going after about two minutes the guage will fall to cold again as if the car never ran. the heater reflects this also by putting out very little heat.

Ensure that your coolant is topped off and that the right amount is in the coolant bottle. To do this, remove the white cap on the tube just behind the outlet hose for the manifold. Remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator with the proper amount of coolant mix. Fill the coolant bottle to the cold line, replace the 2 caps and run the car. Check it again in a day or 2. Be sure your radiator cap is good.

In my experience, a properly filled cooling system actually seems to run hotter than one which isn't. ;)

TbirdSCFan said:
Ensure that your coolant is topped off and that the right amount is in the coolant bottle. To do this, remove the white cap on the tube just behind the outlet hose for the manifold.
QUOTE]

While removing the vent plug with the white cap, hold the "tube" that it screws into with a second wrench in order to avoid warping the thermostat housing.

TbirdSCFan said:
In my experience, a properly filled cooling system actually seems to run hotter than one which isn't. ;)

I would think so, since there will be better heat transfer from the engine to the coolant as opposed to a poorly filled system that has air pockets.
On the other hand, a poorly filled cooling system will mean that the engine will run hotter, which will mean that the coolant will be hotter.
So my final answer would be yes and no. :)

Back