Header Question

x182dan

I was wondering if there are any other bolt on headers for SC's. I know kooks sell them but they are $499. I have heard you can make mac work but its a pain. Any others besides getting them ported or the kooks?

What you have heard is correct.
Only Kooks are known to fit without some reworking.

If cost is a significant factor, [and it always is to me]
I would recommend going to a recycler and getting a pair of 94-95 iron manifolds, then porting them out to about 2.00".
Should be sufficient, til you're up to 330 hp or so.
Especially if you live in a freedom loving state where you can ditch the cats.
I'm pretty sure any V6 Bird/Cat manifolds of the correct year will do;
nothing special about the SCs.

Kooks tubes are nice; but expensive, and really, headers are a low priority for a roots supercharged engine anyway.

Last edited:
What about custom headers? I want to get my sc somewhere in the 13s so would I need the kooks for this?

If you are a welder, you might be able to build your own custom headers for less than kooks. But do it for the learning experience, not the cost savings.

I don't have a 13 sec SC, so take IMHO for what its worth;
but as i opined, headers dont make too much difference on a supercharged engine, which is scavenged by positive intake pressure. [boost]

Manifold-back Exhaust & Gears are best bang for buck mods. [I would prolly be in 13s, but have chosen not to buy the extra fuel associated with 3.73 gears...]

Your engine money is better spent on intake, good heads and cam, intercooler and blower mods.
[edit: not to forget SCT tuning and fuel system upgrades and BHJ balancer, so your Performance mods don't break it]
At that point, the headers might be worth the coins.

Last edited:
Back