Blew HG's big time today

Jeremy_K

:mad: :mad: I was on my way to work this morning about 3 miles away and my car started chugging at idle. it sounded like it was trying to run under water. then i was coming in the gate to the base and it started pouring out white smoke from the exhaust. i drove it about 1/2 mile onto base and parked it. it continued to smoke for about 3 minutes after i turned it off. there is a little coolant dripping from the tailpipe. hopefully i didn't damage anything. i won't start it again til i fix it. how much should it cost if i do it myself?

Well Jeremy, I figure about:

100.00-Upper Gasket Set
50.00- Heads Decked
100.00-Head Studs (maybe half that much for head bolts?)
5.00- 1 case of Pepsi (My garage fee :D )
30.00-Oil and Filter
Not quite sure how much more if you want any valve work done.
This would also be the best time to do a little porting on the heads. At least gasket matched to intake.
So, probably in the neighborhood of 300.00 bucks. :(

Boy are you lucky to have a real mech. to help you out. Take the time for a valve job and port match the heads and intake.

Darkside said:
Well Jeremy, I figure about:

100.00-Upper Gasket Set
50.00- Heads Decked
100.00-Head Studs (maybe half that much for head bolts?)
5.00- 1 case of Pepsi (My garage fee :D )
30.00-Oil and Filter
Not quite sure how much more if you want any valve work done.
This would also be the best time to do a little porting on the heads. At least gasket matched to intake.
So, probably in the neighborhood of 300.00 bucks. :(
chris, i'll get the upper gasket set tomorrow $137 at checker. trust me, the pepsi will be flowin' this week. i may actually get a fountain machine :D hopefully i didn't mess anything up internally. the porting and valve work will go as far as my paycheck will allow.

NMxr7SC said:
trust me, the pepsi will be flowin' this week. i may actually get a fountain machine :D .

LOL!! Good idea! :p The porting is free. The valvework is another story. I can probably clean up the valves at my work, maybe. We have a valve grinder but it's an old one. You might be better off getting it done professionaly. I can port and polish your heads to match your intake pretty easily. Just takes time.

tim said:
Boy are you lucky to have a real mech. to help you out. Take the time for a valve job and port match the heads and intake.
Damn Jeremy, I thought you wanted me to help you. :p :D Who did you hire?LOL!

If you're goin to P&P the heads, might as well
call comp cams & get a healthy bumpstick in it, too.
I think Kurt has a spec card. :D

You're lucky to have Darkside around; at least in lieu of a real mechanic. ;) Anyone else would cost a case of MGDs.

Back