Crank sensor help

PETEp

I know I can change it but my Chilton`s book is no help. I need pictures the car has stoped running thankfully in my driveway. The code is 14 and the up shift light is on when I turn it over. Does anyone know were I could get better info how to change the crank sensor. So far I have, take off the belts remove the crank pulley then I see a cover behind the pully does that come off to. Or is the sensor just behind the pulley. I found were it plugs in by the cam sensor the book says to take off the water pump pulley to get the belts off does this sound right. I dont want to take it to the Ford garage if I can help it. I have allways fix the car myself but maybe I will have to give in this time. Pete

Since no one else has posted a reply, I'll give you what I remember. The job is doable, just kinda tight in there. The sensor is behind the plastic two piece cover. Remove the cover, I think it's just two small bolts holding it together, then the sensor is held onto the front timing cover with two 5.5mm hex bolts. When you install the new sensor you need to make sure the vane on the back of the harmonic balancer is centered in the opening of the sensor. This is not a critical measurement, you just have to make sure the sensor is not making any contact with the vane or you will wipe out the sensor immediately when you try to start the car. You can use something as simple as a match book cover to make sure there is clearance on each side of the sensor. BTW. this is done from under the car on jackstands or ramps. Good luck, John

Remove the crank pulley

Remove the plastic shroud around the balancer

Unplug the crank sensor wiring

Turn crank so that the sensor vanes are open and not between crank sensor

Use a 7/32 ignition wrench and remove the two crank sensor screws

If you have trouble removing the sensor you can unbolt the crank sensor bracket's three bolts. I use a matchbook cover to set the air gap on the crank sensor to shutter clearance. The matchbook cover should slide between the two easily.

It's not a fun job, but not that hard, just time consuming.

Jerry

More crank sensor blues

Took the car apart got down to the crank sensor. Went to unscrew the sensor and the screw broke now what? :mad: Pete

PETEp said:
Took the car apart got down to the crank sensor. Went to unscrew the sensor and the screw broke now what? :mad: Pete

What luck! I've never heard of that before, I didn't think it was possible to tighten that small bolt that tight without breaking it on install. I think that someone before you cracked it on install and you finished the job taking it out. Anyway, I think you'll need to take the bracket and sensor off in one unit so you will have enough room to work. Then remove the broken off piece of bolt from the bracket. If it's broken off flush you'll need to drill carefully and rethread the hole. It's probably too small to use an easy out. Or, if time is not an issue somebody on this site will have a used bracket for you, just ask on the wanted/sell forum. John

Back