JBL Problems

jpetillo

I have an '98 SC with the Cassette JBL. The right side stereo is really weak. Has anyone had this problem or know what part is bad? The system has a big amp in the trunk. I'm trying to narrow down if it's the amp or the player that needs to be swapped.

Thanks

jpetillo said:
I have an '98 SC with the Cassette JBL. The right side stereo is really weak. Has anyone had this problem or know what part is bad? The system has a big amp in the trunk. I'm trying to narrow down if it's the amp or the player that needs to be swapped.

Thanks

9 times out of 10 it is the factory amplifier....i see it at least once a day

It's your head unit.
I had the same problem in my '89. When I swapped my '90 head unit into it, everything was fine.
The amp in the back only powers the sub I think. (Someone here will know).

There are two amplifiers in the trunk - one for the subwoofer (on the subwoofer unit) and the other for all the other speakers (on the module tray). So your problem could be either with the radio or the amp on the module tray.
Do you have a CD player and does it have the same problem?
Is there a problem with both speakers on the right side?

Guys, thanks. It seems that there's not one problem part typical causing this. But, I'll do a check of each speaker to make sure I know exactly what works and what doesn't.

jpetillo said:

Thanks

A '98 SC? MUst be one of a kind. :D

David

It's the head unit!

I have yet to see a factory amp go bad in these cars. I've repaired over 200 head units and CD players however, and, can honestly say that the symptoms described are one of many that you may typically see when the radio starts going south. Poor fidelity, loss of one or both channels, tuner problems, clicks and pops, etc. are all just some of the symptoms of leaking electrolytic capacitors in the head units.

Repair or Replace the head unit and I bet you'll be fine.

Just my $.02 worth.....

TwoTimeSC

TwoTimeSC said:
I have yet to see a factory amp go bad in these cars. I've repaired over 200 head units and CD players however, and, can honestly say that the symptoms described are one of many that you may typically see when the radio starts going south. Poor fidelity, loss of one or both channels, tuner problems, clicks and pops, etc. are all just some of the symptoms of leaking electrolytic capacitors in the head units.

Repair or Replace the head unit and I bet you'll be fine.

Just my $.02 worth.....

TwoTimeSC

Guys, yes, it's an '89 not a '98!

TwoTimeSC, thanks. Can I contact you offline about getting mine repaired? Mine right now only has the problem of the weak side - well, maybe the tuner could be better, too. I'm heading out in the garage to make sure I know exactly what's working and what's not - after I change the oil.

Back