PDA

View Full Version : get-BLOWN-UP... cracked piston

getblown
09-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Well guys... Im sorry to say, at the moment my car is officially BLOWN-UP.

On my way home (a 7mile trip) i stopped about a 1/4 mile out of quakertown to put air in my slicks and talked to a guy for 10 minutes... and set off on my way home...

I pull out onto 309 and go about a mile and then a Z28 or likewise camaro pulls up past me and takes off... forget i say to myself and nothing ... but at the next light i pull up next to him and look at him like ~~~ ...
He pulls out hard up to the speed limit and i lay back awhile... about two miles down the road i pull up next to him at a long straightaway with no visable traffic... so i drop it down to 2nd gear , via the shifter at 55mph, and take off well all is good until about 115, i was running right with him... then my car slowly started to fall back... wondering why, then my car slows down and can't keep up over 100... so i fall back really pissed that my car is running like *** when i was in a sure tie...

No power is the next thing that happens, sounded like my car did before it blewup the first time... lots of sputtering and no power with a minor knock... now i have no power brakes, being the broken car i try to hide around a sharp bend and almost slide into a pole trying to do so without power brakes... now im smokin like a ganster after a good "whack" job... trying to just get home before i get caught for racing... keeping my car in 2nd gear at 45 mph cause anything lower, it will shut itself off... so i get home...

I pull in the driveway and my car is in a cloud of smoke, i turn off the 4ways and immediatly shut the car off and pop the hood... I look inside with a flashlight and to my utter dismay, my engine bay is black... not with suit or dirt, but with OIL... yeah i think to myself, and that is where i stand right now...

NO, the car wont start. No, there is no check engine light on. No, i have no clue what has gone wrong but its not pretty...Ill let you guys know with any more details that come about... Looking like the XR7 is the only thing ill be driving anytime soon.

jOe

edit* - Well doing a quick over look with the Supermechanic skills of Scott, We have almost concluded that it is a cracked piston... the dipstick was blown out about 3 inches which could have been from the pressure or cylinder #5 going through the oil pan area and not the exhaust pushing the dipstick out about 3inches... and this also would account for the recent oil loss/usage throughout the last 3 months...

MIKE 38sc
09-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Could also just be the rings.

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 06:58 PM
my brothers SC when he bought it had a cracked piston, here is a pic :) and had a nice whole in the oil pan...

hytorksc
09-13-2004, 09:12 AM
what usually causes a cracked piston?

MIKE 38sc
09-13-2004, 01:53 PM
Usually detonation causes it.

J57ltr
09-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Or butting the rings together from heat.

Sucks about your car, but why didn't you have power brakes?

Jeff

getblown
09-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Or butting the rings together from heat.

Sucks about your car, but why didn't you have power brakes?

Jeff

I think it might have been from trying to stop from going too fast... plus the car was on the verge or stalling, it was sputtering around 3-400 rpm...

jOe

David Neibert
09-13-2004, 10:49 PM
93 and up SCs require a certian amount of vacuum to function. The cam in my 91 wouldn't work in my 93 without adding a vacuum canister or pump.

Loosing a piston can definatly cause a loss of vacuum and a big reduction in braking power.

David

J57ltr
09-13-2004, 11:56 PM
I thought it was an early model.

Jeff

getblown
09-14-2004, 01:27 AM
I thought it was an early model.

Jeff

Nope, it was my 93 Auto... :(