PDA

View Full Version : Denzo Iridium Plugs ?

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 02:42 PM
I seen one person (Mark Kovalcik) on this board with these and they are in the 12's with nice Hp + tq #'s running these plugs.. anyone else running these plugs in there SC ? i bought these for my civic and i like them, but if i can buy them for my SC i want to.. i went to there website and got this below, not listing for the SC's can i use another one ? a V8 listed one ? Alex L

Iriduim # (ITF16 for V8's only ????)

1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD______5.0 L - V8___ ITF16____0.054
1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD LX____3.8 L - V6___??????____0.054
1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD LX____5.0 L - V8___ITF16_____0.054
1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD SC____3.8L - V6___??????_____0.054

007_SuperCoupe
09-12-2004, 03:46 PM
NGK makes iridium plugs for the SC. I'm not sure that anyone else does. I don't have the part #'s handy right now, but I can dig them up if someone else doesn't chime in. I had them in my '89 and am satisfied greatly with them. Once I need a tune up on my '92 the iridiums are going in it as well.

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 04:22 PM
my mistake, he has Iridium plugs listed, i assumed only Denzo made them.. ok i'll call autozone then they should have them... thanks Alex L

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 04:27 PM
i just called autozone and no #'s listed for my car ? 1991 T-bird SC ? if someone has the part # handy i'd appreciate it.. thanks Alex L

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 04:48 PM
i found the info on NGKsparkplugs.com easy to look up i did a chart like theres, here it is below.. i'm calling autozone now to see if they habve the NGK p/N i have listed, because in there computer they dont have anything listed. will repost and let you guys now if autozone has them under the part #'s i have Alex L

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 04:55 PM
of coarse autozone doesnt have them..now i gotta find where to get them..Alex L

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 04:59 PM
summit does, NGK-7316 SPARK PLUG (should ship by Tomorrow) $6.99 not to bad, i paid 12.99 each for my denzo iridium plugs for my honda.. Alex L

gldiii
09-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Denso does make an Iridium plug for the SC, I believe the IT20 is stock plug and the IT22 is colder (maybe too cold!).

http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14998

The NKGs are probably half the price of the Densos.

SuperCoupeSC91
09-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks "gldiii"
but what are a better choice ?

IT20's (5326) ? or the colder IT22's (5327)? and why ? Thanks Alex L

gldiii
09-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I haven't used either plug so I cannot tell you from my experience. XR7 Dave reported the "22"s were a little too cold and would foul in his car, so it would appear the 20s would be the better choice. But, of course it all depends on your application!

There are pages of threads on the Iridium plugs with info from people that have actually used them. Just search on "iridium" or "denso" and you'll find hours of reading material.

Once you have searched and read the info, I'm sure you'll have a list of posters to contact with additional questions.

XxSlowpokexX
09-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Use IT20's They are grear..And actually a tad colder then stock if I recall

blown96bird
09-12-2004, 09:24 PM
I have tried the denso plugs and did not like them I had a lot of problems with them. I have switched to the lighting sparkplugs which are 2 heat ranges colder that a stock NA spark pulg. The lighting plugs are fully threaded. The lighting plugs are a iridium plug. I have been told the lightning plugs will fit any 3.8 or 4.6. The lightning part number is AGSF12-FM1. If your prefer to run coppers you can use partily threaded AWSFA 12 C or a fully threaded AGSF12C PLUG.

pearl95sc
09-12-2004, 09:34 PM
I ran the ngk irigiums, p/n ngk tr55-ix or something like that. Bought them off of ebay for $40 shipped for all 6. The sellers store was called sparkplugsource. Highly recommended, excellent plugs.

Deep6
09-13-2004, 12:41 AM
I didn't know that Lightenings came with Factory Iridium Motorcraft plugs?

edspringer
09-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Use IT20's They are grear..And actually a tad colder then stock if I recall
Damon.......I have I's in both my XR7 and SC. I installed them right out of the box which is .055 gap. Do you gap yours less? If so, why?

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17 Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

SuperCoupeSC91
09-14-2004, 04:44 PM
i ordered my plugs yesterday (denso iridium plugs@ autozone) they should be comming in today threw fedex at the autozone, now do i need to regap these ? plz get to me asap ppl ? i want to install them but not sure if i should ?? Thanks Alex L

XxSlowpokexX
09-14-2004, 04:48 PM
I didnt regap mine and had no spark blowout at over 17psi(Dave disclaimer because I dont want to hear it)

Remeber youll make more power with a wider gap so long as you dont blow out the spark:O)

SuperCoupeSC91
09-14-2004, 04:55 PM
so whats the best choice ? leave it alone? or gap it to ? what ?? thanks Alex L

edspringer
09-15-2004, 07:38 AM
I didnt regap mine and had no spark blowout at over 17psi(Dave disclaimer because I dont want to hear it)

Remeber youll make more power with a wider gap so long as you dont blow out the spark:O)

Thanks for the info. I have not had any blow out problem with iridiums. I pulled one the other day out of my 94 just to see how it was burning. It looked great.

pearl95sc
09-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Alex, they should come pre-gapped. I threw mine right in with no problems. Didn't even bother to check the gap now that I think of it. :eek:

XxSlowpokexX
09-16-2004, 06:56 PM
The gap is slightly larger then reccomended for an SC....But the Iridium plug gives a stronger spark by nature..Theoretically you should even make a tad bit more power

SuperCoupeSC91
09-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks "blown96bird" "MannySC"

i ordered my dam denso iriduim plugs on tuesday(said i could get them for next day and i was happy, because i needed them for sat but needed them before to put them in so i could go to the track), and i got told they'll be in wed, then wed comes, they said they contacted denso and they didnt ship it for some reason, then thursday comes now i'm mad, they said they didnt know why but it should of been there, i contacted district manager and tell him i am mad, he was cool try'n to find them locally and buy them outright for me on thursday, and couldnt find anyone that was a dealer or had any in stock. so i just said screw it i'll wait untill tomorrow again like he said they would come in, i didnt want to get them on friday (today) and put them in and race tomorrow i wanted to have some extra time, so i wait untill today, call at 12 pm they say call back at 3:30 and thats the last fedex truck ? i was like ok, so i call at 4ish, and guess what, no dam plugs i get the "they will be in tomorrow morning" i was like ~~~ ? (we contact the denso company again and talked to someone corparate blah blah blah, i can have them shipped next day special shipped ) i say i'm goin to the track in the morning i cant do that.. now i was pissed, but then remembered that "blown96bird" mentioned about stock lightning plugs are iriduim, so i call the stealership and get them there just had to drive about 20 mins and got my money back from autozone... thats just my luck (could of been a little worse and me not able to get the lightning ones, but).. i'm happy now my car feels better seems to idle better also, my dad looked at my plugs and said dam, they dont look to good he said how long were they in there i said a few yrs, but not many miles on them at all.. but it was due!! then i didnt know what to gap this kind of plug at ? so i msged MannySc and he recomended gapp'n them at .40 so i did (had to get a fealer gauge) now i'm ready for the track in the morning so thanks again guys at SCCOA :) Alex L

Deep6
09-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Ford Lightening Plugs are DEFINATELY Iridium plugs? Motorcraft makes them?

What do they run, and are they as good as the Densos or NGK plugs?

SuperCoupeSC91
09-17-2004, 11:24 PM
i imagine so, lightnings arent cheap, they look just like my denso iriduim's i bought for my civic.and someone else said so, so i imagine there correct. they were about 55 or 56 bucks for all 6.. Alex L

Deep6
09-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Just like I read in another post, Perhaps a manufacturer is contracted out and the motorcraft name is put on them. We've all known for a long time that Autolite plugs are sold as Motorcraft through Ford dealers, so perhaps Denso is the supplier for these....

Anyone know for sure? Got pics?

Dahoopd
09-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the Lightening plugs. I have a 93SC and dont know what year to ask for. The plugs and wires are the last thing needed.

SuperCoupeSC91
09-19-2004, 06:48 PM
"blown96bird" already posted in this post about the part # :) here it is..

The lightning part number is AGSF12-FM1

gldiii
09-19-2004, 09:12 PM
I'd look at those Lightning plugs a little more closely and compare to your stock plugs that you have pulled out.

http://www.thundercoupe.com/images/NKG.jpg

If they are like this picture shows they may have threads that will extend into the combustion chamber which could cause you problems as combustion residues build up on the thread and then you try and screw them back out of an aluminum head!

The unthread part on the stock SC plug sticks in the cylinder, but it is a smaller diameter than the threaded part. Plugs like the APP103 are shorter and do not extend into the cylinder.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3506

Some plugs may have more threads on the barrel of the plug up towards the seat, but you do not want the distance from the seat to the end of the threads to be any longer than stock.

More plug info here:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20418

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30551

SuperCoupeSC91
09-19-2004, 09:29 PM
"gldiii" my plugs didnt look like that (before i put them in), i dont remember about the threads and all that but i remember that the center didnt look like that. it was a very skinny middle piece like my iriduim plugs from denso (for my civic). i dont think those are iriduim plugs, the color was not that color as i said they seemed to like exactly like my denso ones they were a platinum silverish look. Alex L

gldiii
09-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Alex, my reply has nothing to do with plug color, tip or electrode size. It is all about the thread depth on the plugs. This was also addressed specifically to the Lightning plug application.

The plugs you have may be fine, but it is an easy check for others to do before they install a plug that could damage the threads in the aluminum head when they try to remove them many miles later.

SuperCoupeSC91
09-19-2004, 09:55 PM
trying to find a pic or more info, but got this so far from

"www.partsgalaxy.com"

AGSF12FM1f4 $8.41 $6.90
Electrical - Ignition system - Spark plug - 5.4 liter
W/supercharger 1999 - 2003

SuperCoupeSC91
09-19-2004, 10:08 PM
wow rockauto.com has them for under a 99 ford lightning for 2.57 each, i paid 8.41 each from the dealer.... dam..

SuperCoupeSC91
09-19-2004, 10:21 PM
after try'n to search for pics i couldnt get one on that part # but i seen alot of lightning post places and where ppl talk about the lightning there all almost using denso iriduims... i wonder if now i should change ? dam.. 53 bucks maybe lost.. :(

SuperCoupeSC91
09-19-2004, 10:46 PM
"gldiii" i missed your re-post.. u think it will really damage the heads later on ? that sucks, now i find this out after i pay 54$ bucks and install them :( but i guess thanx for lett'n me know... well for anyone else that reads this like i posted previously i seen alot of lightning people use denso iriduim plugs.. so i wouldnt do the mistake that i did and get these then, especially if they can harm your head later.. i wish i would of known this before.. :(

XxSlowpokexX
09-20-2004, 02:10 AM
after try'n to search for pics i couldnt get one on that part # but i seen alot of lightning post places and where ppl talk about the lightning there all almost using denso iriduims... i wonder if now i should change ? dam.. 53 bucks maybe lost.. :(

What did you put in?..Almost any new plug should be fine..I just perfer denso IT20's

Not worth rechanging if you put new ones in already