Oil Problem...

Deep6

Haven't posted in a while cause I've been busy, and the bird rides like crap and I don't like driving it no more. But anyway, this confused me, since although I changed my oil back in May, I've put maybe 2000+ miles on the car since then. So it hasn't been driven much.

I drive to work last week and I start the car and I hear a "groaning" noise for the 1st split second the engine cranks up. I think it sounds like a starved crank bearing or someting, but the noise disappeared right away. I drive to work no problems.

I come home and when I start the car up the noise is there again, but this time it lasts for 2 seconds as opposed to 0.5 seconds the first time. I think that whatever the problem is, it's getting worse.

I drive home with no problems, but when I go to pull into my parking lot, I turn the wheel and I see the oil guage drop and the "check guages" light come on. Right when I straighten the car out, the oil guage goes back up and the "check guages" light goes off. :eek:

I decide to check the dipstick and there is NOTHING on the dipstick. Uh-oh, I've never had this problem before. There is nothing leaking on the ground, so I don't know where my oil went. :eek: :mad:

Oh, thinking I had like nothing in the crankcase, I went out and bought a 5 quart container of oil and added the whole thing to the engine. I drove the car about 100 miles and checked the oil again. It was waaaay too full. I had to drain some oil back out. Actually to be precise, I drained out 2 quarts of oil to get it right to the "F" in FULL on the dipstick. :rolleyes:

That tells me that the dipstick, although reading nothing in the engine, in fact there was probably around 2 quarts in the crankcase and the dipstick probably just doesn't reach down that far... Am I correct with my theory? :confused:

And, does anybody have any idea where I might be loosing my oil? I checked under and around and sure the front of the engine looked a little greasy, but nothing "fresh" there...

About 1.5 years ago I replaced my front timing cover seal (PITA job) and when I did it, I used Copper RTV to assist in sealing the gaskets ( I glued the gaskets for lack of a better term, thinking it would improve reliability). My SC mechanic buddy told me that wasn't a good idea..... think that could be my problem? :confused:

Yes, the dip stick does not necessarily go to the bottom of the pan. You usually have about two-three quarts when it no longer touches the bottom of the stick.

About where your oil is going, that's a good question. What do you see under the car? You may have to look closely. I've had many oil leaks that dropped no more than one single drop when I stopped, because it dripped it only when the engine was running - and nothing after.

I've also had an engine that blew no oil/smoke out the exhaust, but used 1 qt. every 1000 miles. The engine was tight (no drips). Apparently it was the rings, because we changed them, but made no changes to the heads and I used no more oil. I was amazed at that one myself!

I don't see how your "gluing" your timing gasket in place could do anything more than acting like a gasket is supposed to.

About the greasiness in the front of the engine, could your oil cooler diverter gasket be bad (where the filter is)? I'm assuming that the cooler diverter mounts between the engine and filter. On another engine I had this gasket go and it used oil like there was no tomorrow, but only one drop once I stopped.

I'm only guessing, so I hope it helps. Maybe someone that has the same problem on an SC might be more help.

I'll check there...

The cooler diverter gasket is actually the gasket on that screw on cooler? I would assume it is a similar gasket to what is found on a oil filter. I suppose it could go after all this time.

It's good to know that I didn't completely run my engine dry. You are right, when I drained the oil back out, I had Approx 2 quarts extra. ;)

The reason why I suggested the front timing cover seal. When you pull off the front of the timing cover it actually forms the front part of the oil pan gasket seal. What you have to do is use plenty of RTV in that spot to prevent a leak.

Sometimes it doesn't take, and well you have a nasty leak on your hands... That was the only reason why I suggested that as a posibility.

Deep6, I would check the oil level cold not hot. I would start checking it in the morning before work and keep an eye on it. If you are losing a lot of oil it has to go somewhere. If the car isn't pumping out blue smoke then it has to be either going into the coolant or running out of the engine. Maybe it's a good time to get some engine degreaser and clean the front and bottom of the engine. It's a lot easier to find oil leaks on a clean motor.

Jerry

That's exactly what I'm going to start doing...

I typically haven't had a problem with oil on this car before. I will clean up the front underneath and check and see. It'll be a while. I sure hope it isn't that front timing cover... Otherwise I'll need to replace the balancer. Already been removed and re-installed once....

The oil sender can crack and leak when the engine is running. Its hard to see it. Also, the valve cover gaskets are notorious for leaking.

Rick has a good point. The sendor has oil pressure going to it, so a small leak there will lose a lot of oil compared to oil seeping past timing or valve covers.

Jerry

Here is a picture of the oil pressure sending unit. It is the part with the red connector. It is behind the power steering bracket. Looks tight, but on my 90 you can get it.
They can leak a little or a lot and can be hard to isolate because of the white plastic cap on it.

http://members.cox.net/mechanicdbd/oil_sender.JPG

Hope this helps
Take care
Dennis

thanks for the picture...

I've actually removed that water pump to power steering pump bracket for ease of future access.

Were really not sure of the purpose of that bracket, but it's thought of to function on some sort of NVH bracket. I really haven't noticed more NVH. But that was when I had regular mounts. Now that I have solid mounts, I might notice a difference by putting it back on....

I'll check that location too, it might be wet after all..

Back