All season tire recomendations

Tony SC

What would everyone recomend for a decent all season tire that can handle a Michigan winter? They need to fit on the stock 16inch rim, and not tremendously expensive.

All-season tires in that climate will really be 3-season tires.

Do yourself a favour, get 4 winter tires. That is the proper way to get through a northern winter.

cheers,
Ed N.

I'm with Ed, but if you really must skimp...

...try the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (NOT the regular Michelin Pilot or Pilot Sport). In the wet and dry they are amazingly sticky for a high-mileage tire. In snow, they're as good as can be expected - fine on packed snow, so all I have to do is go out *after* the SUV poseurs have driven around a little. No force on earth will make an SC zip around in foot-high powder, AFAIK.

Let's face it, snow driving is the one thing our cars DON'T do very well, and frankly you need all the help you can get, so dedicated snow tires are your best bet. In Philadelphia I can get away with having Goodyear Eagle UltraGrip snow tires on only the rear wheels, but Philadephia is not Michigan (we don't even know what Canadian currency looks like).

Whatever you pick, make sure the tire has the new-style severe snow rating (a little mountain icon) - pretty much anything that's not a slick can print a 'M+S' on the sidewall, so that designation has ceased to mean a damn thing.

-- Tristan

Tony SC said:
What would everyone recomend for a decent all season tire that can handle a Michigan winter? They need to fit on the stock 16inch rim, and not tremendously expensive.

I have had good luck with plain old BFG comp T/A all seasons, they got me through every Winter since '97, except for last year. I have heard the new BFG KDWS are supposed to be even better.

Last year was the first Winter I actually used dedicated snow tires, Yokohama somethings....They were a world of difference, much better than an all season.

I'd advise picking up a second set of wheels, and getting the snow tires. But it is understandable if you can't, not everyone can afford the $$$ or space for two sets of wheels and tires. In that case try the KDWS in 225/60 R16.

Last edited:
Andy 94SC said:
I have had good luck with plain old BFG comp T/A all seasons, they got me through every Winter since '97, except for last year. I have heard the new BFG KDWS are supposed to be even better.

Last year was the first Winter I actually used dedicated snow tires, Yokohama somethings....They were a world of difference, much better than an all season.

I'd advise picking up a second set of wheels, and getting the snow tires. But it is understandable if you can't, not everyone can afford the $$$ or space for two sets of wheels and tires. In that case try the KDWS in 225/60 R16.

A little extra weight in the trunk helps a lot as well, centered over the rear axle.

Back