No RPM Reading upon start up, then engine starts goin berzerk!!

nighthawk

Last night something very strange happened.....I stopped at the store and shut off the bird, then i come out and try to start it and she didnt fire up right away so i let off ignition.....tried again bout 10 seconds later and it was acting as if the timing was way off when cranking it! So I gave it a few minutes and tried again and still it didnt want to fire up but it seemed to straightin out on the timing!

So i waited about 10 minutes before trying again....then i cranked it over for bout 5 seconds before she fired and once she finally did.....i had *No Reading on my RPM gauge*.......it finally started showing RPM after bout 10 seconds or so.....then it started to idle very irratically!!! Luckily for me i was just around the corner from home so I drove home and it was going BERZERK the whole way!!!! I got home and shut her down and took for a drive this morning and all was fine!!!! I have yet to see if there are any Codes!!!!

If there is any input it would be greatly apreciated.....thanks!!! :cool:

where you live and what yr sc ,

have you had rain? storms? mine did this it was a wet conection , at dis.

also my tach didnt work once it was a bad ignition switch, I have a few parts if you need to play swap hit and miss if you need to try some let me know have a 89 ircm dis, crank sensor cam sensor, all computers, Ill lend you what you need to find the problem , if nobody can come up with a answer to your ?s if you need em send me a email with address and ill send em ,

then just return what you didnt need so someone else can have spare parts when needed they are free but only what you need .

nighthawk said:
Last night something very strange happened.....I stopped at the store and shut off the bird, then i come out and try to start it and she didnt fire up right away so i let off ignition.....tried again bout 10 seconds later and it was acting as if the timing was way off when cranking it! So I gave it a few minutes and tried again and still it didnt want to fire up but it seemed to straightin out on the timing!

So i waited about 10 minutes before trying again....then i cranked it over for bout 5 seconds before she fired and once she finally did.....i had *No Reading on my RPM gauge*.......it finally started showing RPM after bout 10 seconds or so.....then it started to idle very irratically!!! Luckily for me i was just around the corner from home so I drove home and it was going BERZERK the whole way!!!! I got home and shut her down and took for a drive this morning and all was fine!!!! I have yet to see if there are any Codes!!!!

If there is any input it would be greatly apreciated.....thanks!!! :cool:

These are all symptoms and the scenario of how the engine acts when the cam sensor has gone out, been there done that!
The time you mentioned it seemed like the timing was off is very telling. When the cam sensor goes out the computer will geuss which coilpack to fire and since theres 3 coilpacks 1 out of 3 geuss's will be correct and the engine will run right again, but the tach will not be working. Once the tach starts working again then the motor will run erraticly and buck, at least thats the way mine did.
Heres a simple test for you. The next time the tach starts jumping all over the place and the engine bucks or surges pull over and shut off the ignition.
Now try restarting the engine and if it does'nt fire up as normal shut the ignition off again and try to start it again. Do that 3 times or less if the engine starts, I bet the tach does'nt work when it starts again.(dead giveaway of dead cam sensor)

nighthawk said:
...*No Reading on my RPM gauge*.......it finally started showing RPM after bout 10 seconds or so.....then it started to idle very irratically!!! Luckily for me i was just around the corner from home so I drove home and it was going BERZERK the whole way!!!!
Replace your cam sensor. :cool: You can read up later on why if you're interested.. but for now, just go buy a new one and install it. Oh, and until you get a new one, unplug it. It will take a few tries to get started (key off), but it should run fine.

thanks for the input everyone.................hey are you saying free SC parts or am i just craZy?

Back