Locating the lost of Boost In my IC system

kenewagner

I have had idle problems every since I fabricated my FMIC last winter. I have had poor boost pressure at WOT as well (9lbs) Dave (XR7Dave) told me I had a massive leak somewhere and the solution is to pressure up the system and find it. I had already tried propane at all the connections with no luck. I built a fitting to go into the end of the intake tube and pluged the fitting on the side. I used a long piece of synflex so I could regulate the pressure even if I was under the car. At 4 pounds I found two leaks at 8 pounds every hose connection on my piping leaked at 12 lbs they were blowing air everywhere. I spent hours tighting and retighting hose clamps. I found one pin hole leak in the piping which I repaired as well. The Ford dealer had this car and said it was The MFA sensor and fuel injectors. I reinstalled my old MFA and put everything back together. Started it up and it ran smooth as silk. Put in drive and still smooth as silk. Car runs hard now that it doesnt leak all the boost out. I just followed Dave suggestion on how to pressure up the whole system. Thanks Dave

Attachments

• Pressure test SC.jpg
    Pressure test SC.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 104
Glad to hear that you found your problem(s), Ken. It's good that you posted it here as I have seen a lot of posts lately dealing with poor performance that I believe is due to vacuum leaks. I think that I'll be testing my stock system with you in the near future, just to be sure.

Most people don't realize that vacuum leaks are the #1 problem with poor performance. Of all the vacuum leaks that I had, not one of them was detected the traditional way (spraying a flamable gas at each joint), but they were there none-the-less. I don't even know if I have more.

Good info there. It's good to get it out there for informational purposes.

Back