Do I NEED a stronger clutch?

Tony8470

Not too long ago a buddy told me to get on the pedal. So being the cocky person I am I did. It was raining and dropped the clutch spun through 1st and 2nd. Went to 3rd and the car stood still while the clutch slipped to 3 grand. I didn't realize it untill it reached 3 grand and I let off. I learned to drive a manual on this clutch which was put in 12,000 miles ago. Which means it has a little more than 12,000 miles of wear on it.
Applicable modifications include:
3.27 final drive
5% pulley
Cat-back exhuast with gutted cats
Cold air intake
And 1 passenger in the car at the time

if your clutch slipped like that that, you need a new one. if your gonna change it you might as well upgrade. it definitly should not have slipped. also maybe you didn't release it all the way on accident? when you change it turn that fly wheel, so many people don't think you have to. that's the most important part of the job.
good luck bro,
joe

Last edited:
Clarification Please

Tony8470 said:
Not too long ago a buddy told me to get on the pedal. So being the cocky person I am I did. It was raining and dropped the clutch spun through 1st and 2nd. Went to 3rd and the car stood still while the clutch slipped to 3 grand. I didn't realize it untill it reached 3 grand and I let off. I learned to drive a manual on this clutch which was put in 12,000 miles ago. Which means it has a little more than 12,000 miles of wear on it.
Are you saying that the car didn't move AT ALL, until 3rd gear & the rpms came down to 3K? About the only way to wear out a clutch in 12K mi. is if you constantly ride the clutch or you don't know how to shift it properly, & slip the clutch badly on every shift.

Confused 68COUGAR

No, I have no notable problems with a slipping clutch. But, when I hit 3rd gear the car stayed stationary and the clutch slipped at 3,000 rpms untill I let off the gas. While it was slipping the pressure plate was fully engaged onto the clutch. (foot off the clutch pedal completely). Another thing that might help. I can't keep my foot planted on the gas while shifting through the gears. The clutch cant handle it. I'm guessing I need a stronger one for racing then?

Also, the flywheel was turned before the new clutch. Caused alot of chattering untill it was broken in.

Back