Horn replacement on 1995 TBird?

funcrew

My elderly neighbor asked for my help with the horn on his 1995 T-bird. The fuses and relay appear to be in working order. The horn is in a hard-to-reach position just behind the grille. Has anyone replaced the horn on this model that would like to offer any advice or labor-saving tips?

Thanks!

To effectively repair or replace the horn you'll need to remove the bumper cover-the horns are tucked behind the metal reinforcement. There's a bracket holding the horns that will have to be unbolted-there are two horns-one high and one low-unplug and remove the horns from the bracket.

The common ailment is water inside the horns-you can replace them with the Fiamm Highway Blasters-and you can use the original bracket, terminals and relay.

Let me tell you that when you install those things the horn will gain about 20-30 decibels-make sure that you point the openings down!

You can reach it w/o pulling the bumper cover or the wheel well liner, but you have to work by braille. I found the best thing to do is to unplug the horns first, making mental notes as to how everything feels, then unbolt the bracket. To reinstall is a PITA, but again can be done w/o pulling anything off. A head mounted flashlight helps a lot. It may look geeky, but looking cool is the last of my concerns when trying to get something fixed. :cool: :cool:

Thanks!

I appreciate the tips. I will check for voltage at the relay, then probably pull the bumper cover, as the horn(s) on this car are wedged behind a heat exchanger (oil cooler?) with lots of sharp edges.

Thanks everyone for your quick response. I will post the results here when done.

Back