PDA

View Full Version : Where to rent a squeeze type spot welder?

Peterdroy66
09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm doing some body work/floor work on my wifes car, can anybody tell me where to rent a spot welder or something that I can quickly learn to use to spot weld my patches into place? Brazing takes forever and makes quite a mess
Preferrable Etobicoke, but what ever.

SkunkWorks
09-15-2004, 02:30 PM
... MIG welder....

Just butweld the patch. Or use a 5/16ths ( I think it is ) drill bit to drill holes in the patch , put it down with the holes over lapping the floor, and fill the holes with weld...(non butwelded)

Or jsut slap the patch down and weld it up.. Its going to be covered with carpet anyways, make sure you spray both sides of the floor with Rockerguard or antirust spray...

You don't use a pressure/spot welder for this stuff.. MiG all the way :) And ya definently wouldn't want to braze weld it...

I know Battlefield equipment rents this stuff.. along with any other rent all type place...

I've done a few floors... And to think about it.... all on fords... Humm... :rolleyes:

Also make sure if you get a welder you disconnect your battery.. or when you go to start your car.. you will be in for a surprise!!! ;)

Nick Boers
09-15-2004, 11:00 PM
Home Depot rents a small wirefeed welder as well. Doesn't do the prettiest job, but like skunk said, it's covered by the carpet.

SkunkWorks
09-16-2004, 12:01 AM
It does a ugly job because there is no Argon gas tank. You need that stuff to make a nice pretty and very strong weld. But you can work without it..

Nick Boers
09-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Or bring it down to me, i'll TIG it up :D

SkunkWorks
09-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Good luck with that haha. Dirt rust oily *** floor. Even if you manage to get to start a weld.. TiG welds should be to pretty to cover up ;).

Nick Boers
09-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I know it would be a ~~~~, but it would look nice!

Peterdroy66
09-16-2004, 09:04 AM
I borrowed a MIG from my neighbor. After learning on some scraps, I did manage to make some decent tacks. In some areas I want to fill, so adding silver solder flux WITH O/A and brazing rod, made the brazing much easier.
I might get a gas bottle for the MIG, seeing as I am borrowing for free, I coudl spend some $ and get the bottle and do really nice welds.
PS - this is on my 89 Chrysler, which other than the local area where I am working is in VERY good shape for rust.
Pete

SkunkWorks
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
solder flux.. huh?

With MIG all you need is the mig. Maybe turn down the heat a notch and fill any small holes with the mig jsut give it a second to cool inbetween. Or put a small patch down and weld it in...

remember.. when mig welding you want to hear Bacon and eggs in a pan.. Thats what it sounds like when its going well.. What are the settings on the welder? For some reason Heat setting 3-4 is perfect on almost every welder.. same with wire speed.