Bad MAF? and anyone know how to do a dynamic run test?

Bacondoggy

ok I have been busy/lazy latley, but has anyone heard of this? I have not driven my car in MONTHS and it has just sat around here. I move it from time to time. Well I was thinking of taking it to Ford to waste my $$ and get a diagnostic on it because I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLLY ADMINISTER THE DYNAMIC RUN TEST (hint, hint- any help here?). Well, I figured I would put the stock maf (from my 89 sc) back on the car so it will be as stock as possible and not create extra problems. I have NO diea what kind or type of MAF was on the car, I don't think it was even from or FOR an SC, it just looked like someone figured how to mount the sensors from our MAFs on to this one. well now the car ACTUALLY IDLES NOW (my dad cleaned the 2 sensors with acetone and a q-tip a few months ago). I guess one of the sensors could be broken (ALTHOUGH it doesn't liik like it). but this is what was strange. I just moved the car like 20 feet I DID NOT reset the EEC, well this was RIGHT after I put the stock MAF on. The car idled perfectlly at 900-1000 rpm and I did not have to give it gas to stay alive... then about after 30 seconds, the check engine light flached on then off three times, the rpm's went up to about 1800-2000 rpms for about 5-10 seconds, then dropped right back down to 1000. I didn't have any time to mess with the car, but it never did that before. is it possible it had never sensed the "damaged" or aftermarket MAF and was trying to calibrate itself to it for the first time?? It was pretty strange behavior - just curious if anyone else ever ran into it before...

Bacondoggy said:
ok I have been busy/lazy latley, but has anyone heard of this? I have not driven my car in MONTHS and it has just sat around here. I move it from time to time. Well I was thinking of taking it to Ford to waste my $$ and get a diagnostic on it because I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLLY ADMINISTER THE DYNAMIC RUN TEST (hint, hint- any help here?). Well, I figured I would put the stock maf (from my 89 sc) back on the car so it will be as stock as possible and not create extra problems. I have NO diea what kind or type of MAF was on the car, I don't think it was even from or FOR an SC, it just looked like someone figured how to mount the sensors from our MAFs on to this one. well now the car ACTUALLY IDLES NOW (my dad cleaned the 2 sensors with acetone and a q-tip a few months ago). I guess one of the sensors could be broken (ALTHOUGH it doesn't liik like it). but this is what was strange. I just moved the car like 20 feet I DID NOT reset the EEC, well this was RIGHT after I put the stock MAF on. The car idled perfectlly at 900-1000 rpm and I did not have to give it gas to stay alive... then about after 30 seconds, the check engine light flached on then off three times, the rpm's went up to about 1800-2000 rpms for about 5-10 seconds, then dropped right back down to 1000. I didn't have any time to mess with the car, but it never did that before. is it possible it had never sensed the "damaged" or aftermarket MAF and was trying to calibrate itself to it for the first time?? It was pretty strange behavior - just curious if anyone else ever ran into it before...

Sounds like a bad TPS or IAC. I got carb cleaner on mine and it's been doing the same thing. I replaced the IAC and it's better, but still acts like the throttle has a mind of it's own. I'll be replacing the TPS today and I think that should cure it. If your dad got acetone on those two sensors, he probably did them in. Time to get some more.

David

well my IAC is brand new from ford. I have a few different tps. I am sure they are fine. does anyone (just to be sure) know the resistance the tps should read fully closed and then fully open (you can do it off the car with a multimeter and a screwdriver). because the 2 I have, have SLIGHTLLY different values...

yeah MAF sensors are probablly shot. anyone know where to get just the little sensors? I guess you could solder them on oh man that would be so hard to do...

Last edited:
Back