PS rack

Billabong089

I got the screws out and the outer tie rods, it drops down but only on the side that doesnt have the lines, the driver side still stays up and I cant get the lines for anything and I did unhook the steering column thing. PLEASE HELP ME!

This thread has links on the rack install/removal that I posted for you earlier:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50120&highlight=power+steering+rack

I would rate this as a difficult job. The lines that are still holding your rack in the car are hard to reach from underneath. I did mine recently and several people told me you could not do it from underneath, that you would have to clear some things out of the way up top.

I did mine from underneath with some of the info contained in posts on here, but it was difficult to do. You have to undo the hard lines where they go into the rack up near where the column mounts to the rack. There is very little room and the fittings are very tight! You have to keep working the rack until you can get your wrench in there just right. Remove the lower line then the upper one. As hard as those lines were to get off they are 10 time harder to re-install. You have to line the hard lines up just right by moving the rack all around and then make sure you do not cross thread the fitting while screwing them back in. I'm still missing small pieces of my fingers from doing this back in June! Did I mention that it is very difficult?

If worse comes to worse you may have to remove the intercooler and other things up top to get at the lines from there.

I already removed the intercooler, I would do it from teh top , what do I remove???? and what MM wrench is it?

Also check this out:

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/Ui..._us/0900823d/80/14/f1/a0/0900823d8014f1a0.jsp

FROM THE WEBSITE :

Place a suitable drain pan under the vehicle. Disconnect and plug the power steering return hose.

Disconnect the power steering pressure hose at the intermediate fitting and position out of the way. ??? WHAT IS THIS????

Fig. 2: Disconnect the power steering pressure hose at the intermediate fitting and position out of the way

Remove the steering shaft retaining bolt.

Remove the rack-to-subframe bolts and nuts. Access the nuts through the hole in the front crossmember.

Lower the power steering short rack as necessary, to remove the pressure line inlet tube. Remove and discard the plastic seal on the inlet tube.

Cut the tie strap securing the power steering pressure hose to each tube.

Remove the power steering short rack from the vehicle.

Last edited:
I'd like to slap the guy that writes those "Instructions".
They make it seem so easy on PAPER. :rolleyes:

me too lol but serioulsy I need some hints and tips lol , I'm gonna drain the oil and remove the filter and i dunno, I'm nervous, I think i fux0red my car up loooooool and damn those bolts the subframe- TIGHT as hell, I did it by hand, breaker bar!

Thank god I thought to do mine when I had the engine out! :D It was really easy!

(Sorry, that was not very helpful... ;) )

no it WASNT! but anyway I did it from the top of the engine compartment, I removed everything I mean everything, intercooler and all pipes, the PS bracket and obviously the PS pump ;)

I got a new Alt, PS pump and Rack, so anyway I got the rack out im so happy, and on the rack their is actually a mini hardline piece u can disconnect for the high pressure and the return one has a rubber hose and that you can just pull off and then disconnect the hardline when you have the PS rack out then put it on the new before u put it in. Maybe I found an easy way to do it, who knows, but for me the under the car method seemed impossible.

Back