ok supercoupe gurus car wont start

mannysc

ok so I go to get my kid at school and it cranks but wont start,
then i decide to coast it to side of road around corner so I can work on it while coasting the key is on and i let out clutch it fires right up but not when cranking , so I get it home and it works fine . started it over and over whats up ???

just put in new ignition switch yesterday old one was acting up radio wont work and window wouldnt work unless id wiggle key back and forth found it was loose I snuged it up and it worked fine but I replaced it anyway didnt want to have it go out again can my new igniting switch be bad hmm wonder .

any Ideas? .

how many times did you actually TURN THE KEY? assuming you just didn't leave it cranking and it just not starting. I know I have had a problem with a tooth or two getting broken off the starter. I mean I know it is dumb, but if you think about it, how many teeth are on a starter? I would imagine at least 300+. so you may have a +or - 1 in 300 chance when you turn your car off the starter gear that lines up right with the flywheel is the missing tooth, therefore the starter could likely spin around giving the starting sound, but not starting.... this probablly is not the problem........ but I have seen it before... just my .02

it has a new cam sensor the motor was turning just no spark the
car started when I push started it and works fine now cant get it to mess up again I did replace the ignition switch maybe its bad ,

weird it cranked real good but acted like no spark then after I bumpstarted it it works fine . just dont want it to do it again . like in middle of desert

are you sure your coil pack is good? I mean with the engine off you can check with a multimeter on all the coils. like you know 1-5,2-4,3-7 all fire at the same time. my friend had a problem with his coil pack being faulty wich created startup problems. that would be WAY more likley then the DIS itself, but that could ALOS be a problem to check the DIS wich will ALSO cause BIG problems in startup - look here:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50519

talk to J.D. (he posts a few times. he helped me in this issue). I hope you can get it working soon - good luck!!!

I would first check the thing that you did last on the car which is the ignition switch. I assume that you replaced the mechanical ignition switch, did you check the electrical switch and the operation of the plunger/actuator?

J.D. said:
I would first check the thing that you did last on the car which is the ignition switch. I assume that you replaced the mechanical ignition switch, did you check the electrical switch and the operation of the plunger/actuator?
well problem is it wont do it again works fine when it was acting up i cranked it like six times it never started but after I bump started it it works fine . im at a loss :eek:

Could be the crank sensor, when mine started going bad I had to rock the car and pop the cutch to get the sensor in another spot. Would fire right up sometimes and sometimes not. Does your shift light come on when it cranks but not start?

Randy N Connie said:
Did you put your foot on the brake when starting. :)

Randy
Randy that's on 90 models only and you have to have the brake depressed for the starter to crank.

Manny, unless the problem comes back it's almost impossible to diagnose.

Jerry

Back