Lower SE MI/Upper OH - - Taking a look at my 95SC

91BLOWNSC

Just wondering if anyone in a reasonable driving time frame in this area would be willing to take a look at my 95 SC Help me figure out why its running like it is. Someone who would have the tools to maybe "see" the A/F ratios and see if there anywhere in the safe to drive range. I dont' have the money to get it dyno tuned. It just runs like crap, and I just want to make sure that its safe to drive and im not leaning out and hurting anything on the car.

Anyways, let me know maybe sometime within the next few weekends b4 it gets to cold if anyone wants to donate some time! I would drive to your house of course. It runs (that much it does). Thanks, Mark.

Last edited:
Can you give any more detailed information on it's symptoms?

When did the problem start?
Does it run bad all the time or just sometimes?

I'm in Milford, MI.

Hmm

Thanks for the reply, Yes actually I had a post on the car to see if anyone could figure it out over the net, but its really hard to describe without having someone listen to it.

This is the link to the other post I started. It basically has most stuff thats wrong with it.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49729

The car itself just runs like crap when you first start it up..searchs for an idle and wants to stall...after a while she will warm up and actually idles like a dream. Leaving it run at idle like that and it evtually starts to chug and stalls out. But if Im driving it, it won't stall out. Go figure. If you apply the gas theres quiet a bit of hesitation in the lower rpms. But If I take her out on the street and get on it, she doesnt' seem to sputter at all, then the CE light comes on.

I ran codes saying: 1. MAF sensor voltage to low
2. Bap sensor bad or something.
3. Lean on left and right banks.

Let me know if you need anymore info. I'd really just like someone to help me who knows what the hell there doing. Thanks for the reply again.

those are all vacuum leak symptoms.
If it's getting a whole bunch of air into the engine that's not going through the MAF, the MAF voltage will be low, and it will run lean and crappy at idle.

get some starting fluid and spray around the engine while at idle. If you find that the rpms go up when you spray in a certain area, you probably have a vacuum leak. Focus on that area and you will find it if that's the prob.

Have you changed anything? TPS sensor adjustmets? anything like that?

Slysc said:
those are all vacuum leak symptoms.
If it's getting a whole bunch of air into the engine that's not going through the MAF, the MAF voltage will be low, and it will run lean and crappy at idle.

get some starting fluid and spray around the engine while at idle. If you find that the rpms go up when you spray in a certain area, you probably have a vacuum leak. Focus on that area and you will find it if that's the prob.

Have you changed anything? TPS sensor adjustmets? anything like that?

Nope haven't changed any of those. One thing I would like to add though is I beleive the SCP intake is on my car and the whole in the middle of the intake at the bottom that is used for I beleive for ventilation into the engine (attachs to the top of the valve cover) was undone for a short period of time. The attachment does not want to fit into that hole so I never hooked it up. Well after I found that out I put some tape over the hole and it still ran like crap. Do you think this was good enough to seal it just to see if that was the problem?

We Just changed the head gaskets and we checked and double checked everything we tightened down. And this problem was occuring even BEFORE the HG's, so Bascially everything was taken apart and resealed. Unless there was a hose the was dry rotted and cracked. I will have to take a look at those to. But I do have some starting fluid I will attempt that tomorrow as I am on my way to work.

Second thing, my car at WOT puts out a substantial amount of black crap, that I always took to being running to rich. My question is, How can the motor be running lean, and still be throwing out that much crap? Or will the computer adjust, add more fuel, and still say its running lean because its adjusting for it? This is why I didn't understand when the codes I ran said lean on left and right banks.

Thanks again, Mark.

The hole in the intake is a breather for the driver side valve cover. Make sure that it is connected. You can block the hole in the intake and put a seperate filter on the valve cover. Make sure there is no hole in the intake since this will cause a vaccum leak and a bunch of other problems.

Slysc said:
Is it hard to start when it's hot?

Nope, it starts perfectly fine and without a twitch..but after its started is when it runs like crap. IM going to do that starting fluid tomorrow after work. I will let you know how that turns out.

Hey Mark.
It does sound like a possible vacuum leak.
I am not a real big fan of the starting fluid test especially on a hot engine.
One spark and you have a flamethrower under your hood.
My preferred method is using the vacuum gauge and a piece of tubing.
If you tape a length of tubing onto a thin long screwdriver you can use it as a stethescope to listen for the tell tale hiss. I have found many vacuum leaks this way without setting fire to what little hair I have left.
During normal idle the engine should be around 20 in/Hg vacuum.

I live in Toledo just off of I-75. If you still are having problems I can offer to help you.
LMK
Good luck!
Bill

Last edited:
Back