Code experts;What do these codes mean??

Bigme574

I pulled codes 92 and 74. Now the book says that 92 is a shift solenoid failure, and I dont know what that means on a manual tranny. Also, the code 74 is saying my brake switch on of failed. My brake lights do not come on unless I am really hitting the brakes hard, So I would assume that my brake switch is almost toasted. But the 92 is quite concerning. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

P.S. Does this pic look like what the brake switch for our cars???

Attachments

• SLS93.jpg
    SLS93.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I'm guessing that the two codes are related, i.e., code 74 caused you to get code 92 even though it's a manual tranny. So resolving code 71 will hopefully fix code 92.

shift solenoid

I read my codes with the key off. I got a code that said the shift solenoid needs some attention. what would it be im clueless im not to familiar with this any help would be appreciated!

This is a link to a list of SC specific codes:
http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html

>I read my codes with the key off.

Sorry, how did you read codes without turning on the key....?

74 [KeyOnEngineRunning] Brake on/off switch failure

If you did a KOER test and failed to hit the brake pedal when expected, you'll see this code...repeat the test and hit the pedal when the reader says...

92 [KeyOnEngineRunning] Oxygen sensor indicates system rich, left side

If the engine isn't up to operating temp, it is possible to see an oxygen sensor code that is not valid.

See this thread for KOER how-to:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45713

Ken

Last edited:
sorry i should have been more specific i did an engine off scan not key off poor choice of words on my part

i did an engine off scan not key off

Thought so :) As it stands now, I'd say you've learned zilch in terms of anything code related.

When running codes, the engine should be at operating temp and a full test should be run. KOEO first, then KOER - stored codes will follow.

Otherwise you can simply pull/clear stored codes if you like, but without a proper sequence, and being new at this, you're running the risk of confusing yourself - feel free to improvise after you learn the right methods :)

Remember, codes are just something to point you towards possible issues. Never replace a part based soley on a code and never assume a sensor/component is ok even when a code is absent. Also keep in mind that one issue can look like, mask and/or affect another. A simple vacuum leak (for which there is no code), can cause a false oxygen sensor code, as an example.

Pulling codes is part of an overall troubleshooting flow: Warm engine - Pull codes...isolate culprit(s)...check item(s) and related connections...repair...clear stored codes and repeat. Don't ignore the ability to do a 'wiggle' test as well if possible.

Ken

Last edited:
Back