PDA

View Full Version : code 542 (please help)

tjbird
09-17-2004, 09:50 PM
hi guys, i'm not really new here because i been reeding the forums for a long time now and i have learned many things from you guys. to make things short i have a 92 SC stock, everything is running fine and in order until yesterday when i stoped at the store and i't didn't start, then i waited about 5 minutes and it started again, went back home and in the midle of the street the engine shut down, i pulled over cranked the engine and nothin then another 5 minutes and bingo!!! it started again. so today i pulled the code 542 but i have read treads involving this code but nothing close to the symptoms that my car had yesterday, ocasionally i been having bad starts but very rarely, the car runin very good and it hasnt done that today, so any help you could give me i would greatly apreciated.

Excuse my terrible english :)

nighthawk
09-17-2004, 09:59 PM
eh bud code 542 in the book reads 'Fuel Pump Circuit Open' 'ECA to Motor' now what ever that means and how that ties into ur SC most will never know!!!

tjbird
09-17-2004, 10:07 PM
do you guys need more info?, i checked the fuel pressure and its ok 40 psi, the fuel filter is new, maybe i just need to get down and check every wire :eek: , well if anyone knows anything please help

Shockwave
09-17-2004, 10:07 PM
Did your seatbelt move to the back position when the key was turned on? If the car is cranking but doesn't start, the fuel pump relay may not be closing. It could be a bad enerita switch, bad fuel pump relay or the EEC relay inside the IRCM could eb bad. Or the fuel pump itself maybe on the way out.

I have had this happen to me two times this year. Both times the seat belts did not retract and the car would not start but cranked without problem. After numerous tries of turning the key on and off, the seat belts retract the fuel pump runs briefly when the key is on and then the car starts right up.

tjbird
09-17-2004, 10:16 PM
thanks a lot shcokwave this is helping me narrow things down, i dont remember the thing about the seatbelts but i will next time, have you corrected the problem on your SC?, in case that the ICRM or inertia switch is the problem, are they expensive (dealer only) or can i get them somewhere else?, again thanks for the help i will get a new relay and pump since it is a 154K mile car.

Shockwave
09-17-2004, 10:50 PM
I think the ICRM would be very expensive from the dealer. With the key on, you should have 12v on the red wire of the ISC (idle speed control) If you get 12V on the red wire then the EEC relay has closed and the ICRM is not the problem.

If the seat belts retract with the key on then that means the inertia switch is closed and you can eliminate that.

When you have the problem, stop and turn off all accessories. Then turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump to run for about 1 to 2 seconds. Go out and do this now so you will know what to listen for. If you can't hear the fuel pump run then you know it's either the fuel pump itself or the circuit.

It's probably going to be either the fuel pump or the relay.

If you drop the tank to replace the fuel pump, drive until the check gauge light lights inside the tach that way you will have less than 3 gallons of gas inside the tank.

Jerry

tjbird
09-19-2004, 06:08 PM
thanks a lot guys this info is going to help me a lot, i will let you know if something comes up.