My radiator failed three times, and guess why!!!!!!!!

I bought my ,94 SC a year and a half ago and I have had serious radiator issues. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, and took the radiator out and had it brazed on three times. The radiator sprung a leak last week for third time, so I took it out and took it to the radiator repair shop and the guy REFUSED to fix my radiator again. I was pissed because he is the ONLY radiator shop within fifty miles, and I knew that I was stuck with ordering a new radiator.
Well, I ordered that new radiator and when it came in I noticed that it was slightly different than the one that had given me the problems. It turns out that the previous owner had installed a non-supercoupe radiator! :eek: I thought it was funny that the stem under the radiator cap was on the opposite side than the plastic tank for the antifreeze. Then I also noticed that the holes for the tranny lines had been rigged to fit. :eek:
LOL! The car ran low 16's last year at the track and I am really wondering if the radiator was causing a drag on the water pump maybe. Or restricting water flow and slowing things down. Maybe that's what caused it to keep busting at the seams! :eek: What do you guys think? Could this have caused the car to run slower? :confused: :confused: :confused:

dirtybird91 said:
I bought my ,94 SC a year and a half ago and I have had serious radiator issues. I replaced the thermostat, water pump, and took the radiator out and had it brazed on three times. The radiator sprung a leak last week for third time, so I took it out and took it to the radiator repair shop and the guy REFUSED to fix my radiator again. I was pissed because he is the ONLY radiator shop within fifty miles, and I knew that I was stuck with ordering a new radiator.
Well, I ordered that new radiator and when it came in I noticed that it was slightly different than the one that had given me the problems. It turns out that the previous owner had installed a non-supercoupe radiator! :eek: I thought it was funny that the stem under the radiator cap was on the opposite side than the plastic tank for the antifreeze. Then I also noticed that the holes for the tranny lines had been rigged to fit. :eek:
LOL! The car ran low 16's last year at the track and I am really wondering if the radiator was causing a drag on the water pump maybe. Or restricting water flow and slowing things down. Maybe that's what caused it to keep busting at the seams! :eek: What do you guys think? Could this have caused the car to run slower? :confused: :confused: :confused:

A non-supercharged radiator would not fit in your car at all. What you had was an old style SC radiator and the cores were probably plugged and rotted out. I don't think it had anything to do with your times unless your car was running really hot at the time.

XR7 Dave said:
A non-supercharged radiator would not fit in your car at all. What you had was an old style SC radiator and the cores were probably plugged and rotted out. I don't think it had anything to do with your times unless your car was running really hot at the time.

You may be right Dave, but it may not have been a Ford Radiator at all with my luck. :p

Back