Bad Hesitation at WOT, codes

Brandon

Some of you may know about the bad hesitation I get when I go WOT. Other than that the car is perfect....everyday driving is good and the car even pulls hard after the hesitation ceases. I pulled the codes today and here's what I came up with. 116 (Coolant Temperature Sensor Out of Range), 129 (Insufficient Manifold Absolute Pressure/Mass Air Flow Change), 159 (Mass Air Flow Sensor Out of Range), 167 (Insufficient Throttle Position Sensor Change), and 225 (Knock not sensed during Dynamic Response Test). Any ideas guys? I had most of these before the car started running like crap, but I figured I might as well take care of these. I need to get this thing running right before the shootout!

Brandon said:
Some of you may know about the bad hesitation I get when I go WOT. Other than that the car is perfect....everyday driving is good and the car even pulls hard after the hesitation ceases. I pulled the codes today and here's what I came up with. 116 (Coolant Temperature Sensor Out of Range), 129 (Insufficient Manifold Absolute Pressure/Mass Air Flow Change), 159 (Mass Air Flow Sensor Out of Range), 167 (Insufficient Throttle Position Sensor Change), and 225 (Knock not sensed during Dynamic Response Test). Any ideas guys? I had most of these before the car started running like crap, but I figured I might as well take care of these. I need to get this thing running right before the shootout!

It sounds like to me that you didn't do the Key On Engine Running test correctly. The scanner tool will usually identify that you have a 6 cylinder, at that time you should turn the steering wheel and apply the brake. Then the scan tool should ask for dynamic response, at that time you should snap the throttle to wide open and let off as fast as possible. This tests the throttle position sensor, knock sensor and maybe the MAF. Also if the engine isn't hot enough it will give you code 116. Make sure the engine is at full operating temp before doing a KOER test.

Do a Key On Engine Off test and see what codes you get. It's unlikey the car would have that many problems all at once.

Jerry

XR7 Dave said:
Usually means your MAF function is way off. Do you have an EEC tuner?

No I do not have an EEC tuner. The thing that gets me is the car ran beautifully for 4 or 5 days after my MPII, etc swap and then starting running like crap.

mine is doin the exact same thing

only runs like crap when i go wot and i pretty much and all sensors replaced also when i did my engine

Tazer999 said:
mine is doin the exact same thing

only runs like crap when i go wot and i pretty much and all sensors replaced also when i did my engine

ANYONE!?!?!?......Dave, what can I do about my MAFS?

my car was doing samething check fuel pressure at boost it should be 50-60psi at boost and 35-40psi at idle . my car was running fine untill i went to wot then it stsrt stutering and die off untill i let off gas then it would run fine again ,my fuel pres was 35psi at idle but when i would go to boost it would drop to 10-15psi , you may have same problem

jwhit said:
my car was doing samething check fuel pressure at boost it should be 50-60psi at boost and 35-40psi at idle . my car was running fine untill i went to wot then it stsrt stutering and die off untill i let off gas then it would run fine again ,my fuel pres was 35psi at idle but when i would go to boost it would drop to 10-15psi , you may have same problem

What fixed the problem?

you would need new fuel pump if your car has same pressure problem ,
i recomend checking fuel pressure before replacing

jwhit said:
you would need new fuel pump if your car has same pressure problem ,
i recomend checking fuel pressure before replacing

I haven't had time to check it yet, but will hopefully Fri or Sat. The car has a new 190lph fuel pump in it. I'm wondering if I should try a new filter, even though the one on the car is fairly new too. I'll wait until I check the fuel psi though.

mine does the same thing at WOT after i put on the MPII last year.....i have messed with alot of things but havent found the cure yet. My FP is fine 35 at idle and goes to 45 at WOT. She got new plugs/wires, new injectors, new 190lph pump, new fuel filter, tried a different DIS Module, put my stock MAF back on, new O2 sensors, new crank and cam sensor. At idle i have the vac is at 18.

It doesnt hesitate all the time at WOT mostly when it warms up

its very very wierd

Last edited:
cheeriosluvr said:
mine does the same thing at WOT after i put on the MPII last year.....i have messed with alot of things but havent found the cure yet. My FP is fine 35 at idle and goes to 45 at WOT. She got new plugs/wires, new injectors, new 190lph pump, new fuel filter, tried a different DIS Module, put my stock MAF back on, new O2 sensors, new crank and cam sensor. At idle i have the vac is at 18.

It doesnt hesitate all the time at WOT mostly when it warms up

its very very wierd

I sent you a PM.

Back