IC tape...VS...T-bird88 IC gaskets

Dahoopd

Just trying to get feeback. I bought the tape because I was told it seals better than the gaskets. Could be a sales pitch. Considering Im a rookie I figured I would try to get some feedback. Atleast updated feedback versus the search. Thanks for the help.

Dahoopd said:
Just trying to get feeback. I bought the tape because I was told it seals better than the gaskets. Could be a sales pitch. Considering Im a rookie I figured I would try to get some feedback. Atleast updated feedback versus the search. Thanks for the help.

I installed them on my lower intake plenum never has leaked. Totally satisfied with the gasket. I have bought other parts from him as well and totally satisfied

Ken

By all means get tbird88's gaskets. They seal just fine and can be taken apart and reinstalled many times. The tape is overpriced, one-time use only, and has a habit of getting out of place when installed(which ruins them so you can buy some more). If you ever use the tape and then switch to gaskets you will bless the day. John

Whoever told you the tape seals better was simply trying to sell tape. A bunch of people, including myself have used and are using those gaskets with great results.

The gaskets are made from a thicker version of the same stuff that teflon tape is made from for sealing pipe joints. So it has some crush to it that seals the tubes together.

As far as the tape goes, if you want a single use solution you can just use permatex copper RTV as well as anything else. It's just not reusable like the Gaskets from the www.texasthunderbirds.com gaksets are.

I've heard nothing but good things about Wynn (tbird88) and his gaskets. I bought a set not too long ago and got them the other day. I'm planning to put them on soon when I put my Double IC in (thanks Ken :D)

I know a few people that have used them and have been very happy with them.

-Andy "Melon"

Allrighty ....Then!

Ok, thats only 4 votes for the gaskets and none for the tape. I wont waste the time to knock the vendor. I am sure you will be reading this. They will be returned this week. I am sure minus a restocking fee. But, Hey I gotta go with the boys and there opinions. I appreciate the feedback. The bird will finally be up and running this weekend. I have been ignorant with these cars on here long enuff. thanks to everyone that may have answered all of my dumb yet hunger for knowledge for questions. I had planned to get the gaskets but, in the process of purchasing other things I was talked into getting them. (Bad advise was given on the gaskets).

Maaan, i love you guys!.........................

I tried the tape and screwed it up putting it on and had to buy an extra piece. Then the next time removing my IC Tubes I bought Wynn's (TBird88)reuseable gaskets and have taken them off at least 6 times. The gaskets are finally looking a LITTLE beat as my joints are kinda trashed so time to buy some more.

So lets see??
Set of Wynn's Gaskets to use 6 times = $25
8 Pieces (Per application) of overpriced two-way teflon tape X 6 applications = $$$$$:eek:

Go with the gaskets..BTW Wynn had those in the mail to me the same day my money order arrived, and from TX to WA in two days.

BobGPz said:
I tried the tape and screwed it up putting it on and had to buy an extra piece. Then the next time removing my IC Tubes I bought Wynn's (TBird88)reuseable gaskets and have taken them off at least 6 times. The gaskets are finally looking a LITTLE beat as my joints are kinda trashed so time to buy some more.

So lets see??
Set of Wynn's Gaskets to use 6 times = $25
8 Pieces (Per application) of overpriced two-way teflon tape X 6 applications = $$$$$:eek:

Go with the gaskets..BTW Wynn had those in the mail to me the same day my money order arrived, and from TX to WA in two days.
I Have used them several times 4 to be exact and they sealed every time only one time before I used ford sealing tape and it did not seal the tube correctly! I'd go with wynn's gaskets every time!

i got tbird88s gaskets as well.. installed them and didn't have to readjust them or anything... fit perfect.. so far i've had the car up to 13lbs of boost, so i know they're not leaking :)

The tape will only seal the threaded areas...There are also rubber O rings...If you have bad O rings or no tape....Regardless of having the Teflon gaskets or not you mat leak boost. The teflon gaskets are going to help you when you have good orings, properly sealed threads...And a bad mating surface for youre IC pipes or if they are perhaps on the wronmg angle from a raised top. In those cases the gaskest will "FILL" in the gaps just as silicone would

Damon, What O-Rings? I have no O-rings in my IC Tubes. The teflon tape I was refering to is the Ford two sided sticky tape. I was told it was made from teflon. The collar nut is the only threaded area and I have been using Anti-Seize on that.

BobGPz said:
Damon, What O-Rings? I have no O-rings in my IC Tubes. The teflon tape I was refering to is the Ford two sided sticky tape. I was told it was made from teflon. The collar nut is the only threaded area and I have been using Anti-Seize on that.

I concur. There are no o-ring seals on the i/c tubes. The problem I had from the stock Ford tape was that I think it had been on the shelf for years, and it didn't stick well to the metal. When I tightened up the joints it came unstuck and pushed out of position. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
I concur. There are no o-ring seals on the i/c tubes.

You do have O-rings, you just haven't seen them yet.

If you unscrew the "collar" from the tube so that you could take the flange off you would find a rubber O-ring that seals the tube to the collar, which is then sealed to the intercooler, or top by the gaskets.

Geez...gonna hafta put you guys on commision, hope you can survive on fajitas & Coronas!

Thanks for the endorsements but after just over 500 sets (I'm not kidding) a set finally wore out. I believe Bill M up in Canada said sumthin' about squeezin' the last bit of life outa his set. Maybe I should offer a lifetime warranty? Send in your old ones for a free set of new ones? I think that would work pretty well, whatcha think?

'bird

tbird88 said:
Geez...gonna hafta put you guys on commision, hope you can survive on fajitas & Coronas!

Thanks for the endorsements but after just over 500 sets (I'm not kidding) a set finally wore out. I believe Bill M up in Canada said sumthin' about squeezin' the last bit of life outa his set. Maybe I should offer a lifetime warranty? Send in your old ones for a free set of new ones? I think that would work pretty well, whatcha think?

'bird
Yeah Bird, That's a class offer. But it looks like you won't have to replace too many. I think only some of the hard-core racer types will ever need to take advantage of replacement. For most of us I think we'll never wear them out. Kudos to Wynne. John

Wynn's tbrid88 IC gaskets

"Well lets say 11 second performance proven"

I was having big trouble sealing my IC tubes until a quick call to Wynn he sent me two sets of his gasket set.we instaled them went out to prove a point and ran in the 11's with consistaint 19lbs of boost each run take it from me he's got the best IC gaskets ever made.I use them over and over they seal 100% no leaks easy to use "Thanks Wynn" for giving us a great product and performance proven

I saw Wynn's gaskets on Jim's car, and the thing that surprised me was they were a much stiffer material than I expected. Seemed very durable.

I've always used the tape, because a few years I got a huge "sample" amount free from the W.L. Gore Company and haven't used it up yet. They are the original supplier and will send you a sample for free if you call them. My "sample" was like 6 feet, so it's lasted a long time. I also got a sample of expanded PTFE sheet (like the tape but in sheet form, and more durable) from which I made some gaskets like Wynn's. They work great, but the problem is the expanded PTFE sheet costs over $150/sq ft, and they can only be reused maybe once.

Once I run out of tape and sheet sample I guess I'll be getting some gaskets from Wynn.

Back