Fault Code 212 - DIS module related?

Bill McNeil

Hey guys.

I'm getting constant check engine light over this.

Ignition cuts out momentarily while driving, causing the car to jerk slightly, and the tachometer to read a momentary drop in RPM of between 200 and 500. I'm going to go insane driving the car around like this. :mad:

Code 212 - Loss of ignition diagnostic monitor signal/SPOUT circuit grounded.

Can someone please translate this for me. :eek:

Thanks a bunch.

Bill McNeil said:
Hey guys.

I'm getting constant check engine light over this.

Ignition cuts out momentarily while driving, causing the car to jerk slightly, and the tachometer to read a momentary drop in RPM of between 200 and 500. I'm going to go insane driving the car around like this. :mad:

Thanks a bunch.

Swap a known good DIS.

Bill McNeil said:
Hey guys.

Thanks a bunch.

The IDM signal from the DIS drives the tachometer and sends error messages to the EEC.
The SPOUT signal from the EEC tells the DIS the spark angle and the dwell time. It is based on the crankshaft and camshaft sensor signals.
I don't have a Powertrain Control Manual (hopefully will in a week) which may tell you exactly which components may cause code 212. I do have a DIS troubleshooting procedure but since your problem is so intermittent it would make more sense to either wait for it to become permanent or to start swapping parts (could be DIS intermittently not sending its IDM signal or EEC shorting the SPOUT signal).

In laymans terms loss of IDM signal means tach messed up and no spark advance, or poopy performance and funny tach, or "mang, my car has the hiccups and it's got some lights on but I'm still pimpin."

Time to update your sig mang.... :D :p

Last edited:
Back