a/c compressor is siezed

Ummm... what year? 1990 uses the FS10 compressor. You can look up the part # on a place like autozone.com and compare different years and models to find out if they are the same.
I suspect that 89-93 would be the same as they are all r12. 94 I think was the year for the 134a swapover and its possible they changed compressors.

A/C Compressor is Siezed

89-93 compressors are the same for all engines but the clutches are not. SC's use an 8-rib pulley while the others use a 6 or 7 rib pulley. Diameters might not be the same either. You might be able to swap the SC clutch onto the NA compressor provided the spline count is the same (two possibly spline counts 21 or 16, I think) 94 and up compressors have the suction/discharge ports on top of the compressor vs. the back of the compressor on 89-93 models. Best bet is to get a new one. Tim at ackits.com has a new SPI compressor model # 6-3016-NSP w/ clutch for about $234. If your compressor STB, then you are looking at a minimum of flushing the system and replacing the liquid line/orifice tube and the accumulator/dryer before pulling a vacuum and adding oil and refrigerant. This is necessary because there is a good chance that compressor debris was scattered around the system that will only cause your new compressor an untimely failure. Debris can also plug the orifice tube which won't do wonders for the system or keeping you cool either. This is a job best done right the first time.

Last edited:
same prob here

Hey, I have the same problem, my a/c compressor seizied last night as well. It's a real bummer, cause I just bought my SC a week ago, and I wasn't looking forward to buying alot of new parts, but oh well. Mine is a '92. Is it hard to put on a new compressor myself?:confused:

If you have R134 ford uses the same AC compresor on every car i looked at. I just got one off of a sable. Mine locked up from sittting for 2 years without using it. All the oil drained out of it and made it imposible to spin. I took it apart bought a few onces of compresor oil lubed it up an it was as good as new.

BKB

BKB: was it tough taking your compressor apart? I believe I may have the same problem as you. I just bought my SC, and the previous owner said that he hadn't drove the car much at all, he said it had been garaged for most of the last 2 years. My thought is that maybe I have the same deal, the oil draining out from all the sitting. So before I let the local Ford dealership tear it apart and give me a huge bill, I wonder if I should attempt what you did, just adding oil?

AC

Its so easy, remove the 4 bolts holding the case halfs together. Tap on the shaft untill the cases come apart, there are some washers and bearings that will come off so make sure to see how they were installed and not to drop them. Put some oil in the cylinders and the ramp and move it around untill the seals on the pistons get some oil on them. As soon as the seals got oil mine spun easly. reasemble add 2oz of oil to the compressor,and have the system sucked down.

Back