damper question

tjbird

hi guys, i am currently in the process of changing my cps sensor and found out that when i use my hand to turn the damper to position the vane correctly the pulley doesnt move but the damper does, is this normal?, i am planing on installing an aftermarket one later (no $$$$$) but i want to be sure its not serious.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
tjbird said:
hi guys, i am currently in the process of changing my cps sensor and found out that when i use my hand to turn the damper to position the vane correctly the pulley doesnt move but the damper does, is this normal?, i am planing on installing an aftermarket one later (no $$$$$) but i want to be sure its not serious.

thanks in advance
que onda compa , yo soy de ensenada, , dices que la polea no se mueve pero el balancer si? sis i tu balancer ya fallo , te recomiendo el BHJ sale como en 300 pero no te vuelve a fallar nu a mentadas.

I'm not sure what you are saying but it doesn't sound right.

The crank pulley mounts on the inner part of the dampner, not the balancer ring. Having said that, the dampner ring should always move with the inner as one unit. If the ring slips on the inner the balancer is junk. It sounds like to me that you need a new harmonic balancer and pulley assembly. This might be your problem more than the crank sensor. If it was me I would replace both the crank sensor and the harmonic balancer.

Jerry

tjbird said:

thanks in advance
Yes .... Like Jerry said, if your pulley is mounted on the Dampner and then bolted to the crank snout.....then they must move together as one unit!!

If you are spinning your Dampner into position, and the Pulley is not turning in sync with it, then the Balancer is definately garbage!!

Ford will sell u another junk one that will last a few years.........or BHJ has some with lifetime warrenty!!

What i am really wondering is why u would decide to spin the Dampner itself??? Usually the procedure is to Use a socket on the Snout bolt to set correct position!! I wonder if with all the weight and force maybe by turning the Dampner itself, maybe this caused the failure!!!

Also when Installing a new Dampner/Pulley.......Make sure they are Zero Balanced**very important** and use a new snout bolt!!!!

If you buy from Ford...they come together balanced as one unit for few hundred bucks!!!! With BHJ u must have ur stock pulley balanced onto the BHJ balancer!

To save a few headaches for yourself make sure you understand what zero balance is or you will be doing this job again very soon!!!! Trust me i know...lol :D

nighthawk said:
Yes .... Like Jerry said, if your pulley is mounted on the Dampner and then bolted to the crank snout.....then they must move together as one unit!!

If you are spinning your Dampner into position, and the Pulley is not turning in sync with it, then the Balancer is definately garbage!!

Ford will sell u another junk one that will last a few years.........or BHJ has some with lifetime warrenty!!

What i am really wondering is why u would decide to spin the Dampner itself??? Usually the procedure is to Use a socket on the Snout bolt to set correct position!! I wonder if with all the weight and force maybe by turning the Dampner itself, maybe this caused the failure!!!

Also when Installing a new Dampner/Pulley.......Make sure they are Zero Balanced**very important** and use a new snout bolt!!!!

If you buy from Ford...they come together balanced as one unit for few hundred bucks!!!! With BHJ u must have ur stock pulley balanced onto the BHJ balancer!

To save a few headaches for yourself make sure you understand what zero balance is or you will be doing this job again very soon!!!! Trust me i know...lol :D

ahhh eso se me olvido si usas el bhj tienes que rebalancear la polea o compras alas ASP underdrives o las SCI tamaño stock que ya traen balance cero , y aparte como son mas ligeras te dan mas potencia en especial las SCI que unque son mas caras te dan mas potencia y gasta menos gasolina.

yeah but the guy is from mexico too ,and sometimes is kinda difficult to understand or explain tech stuff in a different language.
so i decided to explain him in spanish.

turbospeed said:
yeah but the guy is from mexico too ,and sometimes is kinda difficult to understand or explain tech stuff in a different language.
so i decided to explain him in spanish.

Got it.. :) would have been nice to know the solution in English though.. :(

Have a Good Day.. :)

XR7 said:
Got it.. :) would have been nice to know the solution in English though.. :(

Have a Good Day.. :)
replace the balancer , go ASP underdrives or SCI (stock size) for the pulley a lil more expensive but worth it.

I am curious, lets say the damper/crank pulley is bad; its not turning together, could u take off a good one of a parts car and just bolt it up (replace the bad one), (as a temp fix) or is this a bad idea ? :rolleyes: hehehehehe
thanks guys

thanks a lot u guys, sorry i waited so long in answering this forum but i dont have the net available everyday i will soon, well again thanks for all your info, i think i will need a new damper but at least i have the new sensor to begin with. :)

Back