160 degree thermostat?

Salty

I'm going to be replacing my radiator, hoses and thermostat and was considering a 160 degree t-stat. Is anybody running a 160? Is that too cold? Thanks.

Don't use it, unless you have a copmuter tunrner of some sort. By running a T-stat that cold, the CPU will think the car is always warming up. By reading that false signal, the CPU tells the injectors to dump in more fuel, causing a rich reading for your O2's. This can cause damage, over time the fuel can get into your cylinders and "wash" them clean. And that will cause more trouble.

I had that same T-stat in for about 3 weeks in my car this past summer. The car was running so rich she would stall. Their are lots of guys running a 180 T-stat with no CPU modifing needed.

Good luck.

i had the "correct" t-stat from ford in my car and it always ran hot. reman engine new radiator and water pump. the gauge would would get as hot as 3/4 way to the red while driving, and at idle it would drop to half way. wierd that it would get hotter while driving hah. the stealership thought it was this and that ect.... turns out the t-stats today for the sc's are the same as for a ranger, taurus 3.0. not. the original t-stats had a larger hole to flow more coolant. my cure was a robert shaw 180. the gauge never goes higher than 1/4 of the way up, no mater how hard i drive it. the fan hardly kicks on either were as before it would run on high 90% of the time. don't let your sc run hotter than 1/4 of the up on the gauge, if it does your looking to change hg's. i had changed them four times before getting that t-stat. just something to think about. i have no tuner and it doesn't run rich.
goodluck,
joe

mine has run up to the "L" since i bought it 2.5 yrs ago...head gaskets are still good(for now)..was told these cars tend to run hot

Salty said:
I'm going to be replacing my radiator, hoses and thermostat and was considering a 160 degree t-stat. Is anybody running a 160? Is that too cold? Thanks.

Yes 160 is a little to cold unless you live in FL or similar climate. 180 works well in any climate. Running a colder thermostat won't usually make the car run cooler unless you change the fan settings. Even then, it will only cool as well as the radiator is capable of.

I did everything from dual fans, larger air dam to a triple core radiator and still couldn't get mine to run cool until adding a Griffin aluminum radiator.

David

Back