Slow cranking starter

J

Joisey Jim

Just recently the starter on my '93 cranks slower than normal, but always starts. The battery is good, the starter connections are good, tight & clean and the solenoid behind the battery location looks ok (connections tight). The starter was replaced a couple of years ago & hasn't been a problem. Any ideas, or ways to test the two solenoids.
Thanks, Jim.

batt

Sounds like a battery. Clean the terminals or replace them. A weaker battery/connection is the only thing that comes to mind.

If you want to test the solenoid near the battery, then short its two big terminals together with a jumper cable and see if the starter still cranks slowly.

i rebuilt my starter put new brushes in and it crank slow ever since i tried 3 diff batteries ill prob have to get another starter

Check the condition of your battery cables.
I had a negative cable that was completely shot after 62,000 miles.
Also, take the connections off your solenoid, clean them up with sandpaper, and put them back on.

Thanks Guys. I'm going to clean and test everything; but did notice that the small cable connection to the starter solenoid was frozen in place - maybe it's corroded. You know, the one with the black plastic covered spade connector.

You might try connecting jumper cables from the negative terminal to the block or alternator bracket and see if your starter cranks better.
I had a slow crank condition with my boat. The negative battery cable looked like it was in mint condition. I only discovered it was bad by accident after connecting jumper cables directly from the negative battery terminal to the block. (The corrosion was hidden under the plastic). :)

Back