Can a bad Harmonic Bal. Tap/Click?

Bigme574

I changed my oil for the 3rd time in 400 miles since my HG job. There was a slight tap which I attributed to minor sludge from HG job making for a sticky lifter. but when I went under the car after the change while running, the tap seemed to originate from the crankshaft pully/ HB area. Now I followed it back towards the oil pan and tranny, and there was no clicking. It was from the front for sure. ALSO it went away at varying RPM's. After 3000 it was gone, and somehwere around 2050RPM it also dissapeared. Sound like anything familiar to anyone???

Thanks for any replies!!!

Aaron
asheets1@umbc.edu

Bigme574 said:
I changed my oil for the 3rd time in 400 miles since my HG job. There was a slight tap which I attributed to minor sludge from HG job making for a sticky lifter. but when I went under the car after the change while running, the tap seemed to originate from the crankshaft pully/ HB area. Now I followed it back towards the oil pan and tranny, and there was no clicking. It was from the front for sure. ALSO it went away at varying RPM's. After 3000 it was gone, and somehwere around 2050RPM it also dissapeared. Sound like anything familiar to anyone???

Thanks for any replies!!!

Could be the crank sensor out of adjustment. I had that once and it ticked in perfect rythm for about 5K miles and then it just stopped one day. Crank sensor was broken.

Sweet

Sounds plausable, I did have it off during the HG job, I have a spare and will try it! I hope it works! any other feedback is great too!

Aaron

My 94 has a similair noise. I'm sure it's probably a bearing going bad as a long term result from a head gasket job done long ago. Do you have the noise, or a rattle like sound when the car first starts for about .5 to 1 sec.? That's where I'm at. It is also only noticeable when no load is on the engine. When accelerating, not there. Only on the rpm downfall, or lack of a load on the engine. Just some food for thought that's all.

Back