Fuel Pump questions

Full_BlownSC

Hi! I just recently purchased a 89 SC, While the car is running I can hear a humming noise near the rear of the car. From searching a few threads I have come to the conclusion that the stock fuel pump is on its last legs. My car is bone stock right now but I plan to upgrade the exhaust first off and a few other upgrades will probably follow soon thereafter. I have been looking into swapping in an aftermarket fuel pump like walbro instead of the stock unit from ford, and have a few questions regarding the walbro fuel pumps.

1. As the car is in stock form now, will running a higher pressure fuel pump (190lph or 255lph walbro) worsen fuel economy at all?

2. would the 190lph be sufficient, or is it best to just go with the 255lph

3. Besides the task of actually dropping the tank to gain access to the fuel pump, Are there any issues that come up when getting the aftermarket fuel pump configured to work in the car or is it just a case of wiring it in to the stock fuel pump wiring?

Thanks in advance,

Cory

Cory,

The larger volume or higher pressure rated pumps don't have any impact on fuel economy. The fuel is recirculated and the amount of fuel pressure is controlled by the regulator. Whatever fuel the engine doesn't use just goes back to the tank.

If you want enough fuel for 13s get a 190 lph...if you want enough for 12s get a 255 lph....if you want enough for 11s get a 255 lph (high pressure).

I would suggest getting the fuel pump replacement kit from MN12 Performance. It includes all the parts you will need and a new filter with a good set of step by step directions.

http://www.mn12performance.com/

David

Back