rattling brakes

Stevie_B_SC

So I got new brakes about two years ago, new pads and had the rotors grounded back to even, and ever since then they rattle. Sounds like the pads are rattling around in the.........the uhm, whatever it is the pads sit in. I read another post, something about there being springs, floater springs or something. Well, I just dropped $300 for new pads and rotors on the front on Saturday and I thought that would have solved the problem but the sound is still there. anybody ever have this experience or know what's up?

thanks!
Stevie b '94SC

I don't think it's your pads. It must be something else rattling. Both inner and outer pads are held in place by clips.

Does the rattle stop as soon as you apply the brake?

yep. As soon as I touch the brakes it stops. When I let up on them it takes just maybe 3 seconds and then if i run over even the slightest bump or torn up road, and I have the windows down and the radio off, you can hear it rattling. I actually thought the new pads and rotors were the fixe because the rattling is definetly more subtle than when they were all chewed up, so I thought it was the back brakes (which i couldn't afford to repair) but after closer inspection I realized it's definitely still doing it up front.

The outer pad has a long metal lead which works as a spring to hold the caliper snug against the spindle but lets it slide back and forth. Be sure yours have it. It could also be the clips which seat the inner pad in the piston as well. Be sure to check that the pads seat fully against the sides of the calipers.. I had a reman caliper years ago that I had to file down some to get the pads to seat right. :cool:

So, do our cars require "special" pads then? This 'outer pad with the long metal lead' is it a regular pad or is it unique?

On 89-92 models the metal piece (anti-rattle spring) should come with the pads that you buy from the auto parts store. Just make sure that they do - some after market pads may not have them. Only each outer pad for the front brakes has the spring.
On 93 and later models the anti-rattle spring is seated in the caliper. I don't know this setup as my cars have all been 92 or older.

Anti Rattle Clips

Hello.
I recently bought my SC from a friend. He had the front brakes repaired at a local auto shop. They didn't replace the rattle clips! Dumba**es!
The 1992's and earlier had a long clip attached to the outer pad (see Brakes-1.jpg).
1993-95 models had a rattle clip that snapped into the top of the caliper (see Brakes-2.jpg).
Shop around for these. Some places want to sell you a hardware kit with extra stuff you may not need.
Clackity clack!!
Bill

Attachments

• brakes-1.jpg
    brakes-1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 88
  • brakes-2.jpg
    brakes-2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 87
Hey, I've been fighting this for a while till I gave up. I am pretty sure that in my situtuation it is my 4th front drivers wheel bearing/hub assembly going ka-put again. Everytime the wheel bearing goes bad (Yes, 4 of them) the wheel gets a slop in it letting the rotor push the brake pad around and when driving on a bumpy road, it has enough gap by then to rattle. Anybody else have this make the brake pads rattle? Just something to check as my Anti-rattle springs are fine. Also watch out for those "Lifetime Warrantied" bearing/hub assemblies as they have been nothing but trouble for me.

My rear brakes were rattling, got some stainless steel anti rattle clips from Autozone for a 89 Thunderbird for about $7. No more rattles!
Super XR7

BobGPz said:
Hey, I've been fighting this for a while till I gave up. I am pretty sure that in my situtuation it is my 4th front drivers wheel bearing/hub assembly going ka-put again. Everytime the wheel bearing goes bad (Yes, 4 of them) the wheel gets a slop in it "Lifetime Warrantied" bearing/hub assemblies as they have been nothing but trouble for me.
My driver side hub went kaput due to the grease cap being left off by some service place; I think it was actually Ford itself :eek: that did it. Took many many miles, but it wore out. Be sure the rubber cap is on secure, your spindle isn't bent, and that the rotor bolts all the way down on the stud plate. If your studs are not nearly flush with the top of the lug nuts with the wheels on, you have a standoff issue. :)

Super XR7 said:
My rear brakes were rattling, got some stainless steel anti rattle clips from Autozone for a 89 Thunderbird for about $7. No more rattles!
Super XR7
Would you happen to have a part number? I'm not sure the local A.Z. boys will be able to figure it out.

Kurt K said:
Would you happen to have a part number? I'm not sure the local A.Z. boys will be able to figure it out.

No unfortunatly I do not, but I asked for "anti rattle clips" for a 89 thunderbird rear brakes and they looked up the number.

Super XR7

Back