What's the WIDEST rim/tires you could put on the rear of the SC?

JOE91SC

Would you guys know what's the widest rim & tires that'll fit the SC ? without any problems rubbing and scraping. ( Rear only.) And not too low of a profile
tires then stock, But wide.. Approx. 9"+ across the thread. And rims.. about
8.5"-9" .

I have 245/50r16 dunlops that measure 10.8" of tread footprint

There are a bunch of people that run 275's and some even up to 315's with some fender flaring

DSC00285.jpg

my rims came with 295/35/18's michleon pilot on a 9" (rear rims) rim now i have a 9" (rear rims) rim with a 285/30/18 perelli p-zero pretty wide.. and the other 295/35 were wide and fit no problems stock height.. the widest tires i know of so far... Alex L

Re: ...

Tazer999 said:
I have 245/50r16 dunlops that measure 10.8" of tread footprint

There are a bunch of people that run 275's and some even up to 315's with some fender flaring

What size rims do you have.. that fits the 10.8 wide tires on?

I have the Michelin 245/50zr16 and are only 9.5" Dunlop must be the widest
one in its size.

I'm thinking of getting the stock rims widen 1.5"-2" from the inside. As the stock rims are 7".. so 2 more inchs = 9"..

*Do you guys think it'll fit without tires rubbing on the sway bar etc. ?

BTW: Nice paint job on your SC or awesome detailing!!

SupercoupeSC91

What does Alex L have?

Would be nice if I could fit something like in the back of the Viper in the SC!
I'm sure I would need to do major mods.. :D

Last edited:
Tazer999 said:
the wheels are 9"

Are you talking about your rear tires? 245's on 9 inch rims won't stick out nearly as far as yours appear to. Nor can a 245 tire have a 10.8" tread contact since 245 mm = 9.64 inches at the sidewall. Another 1.16 inches of tread outside that is confusing me. Did you by chance typo when you keyed 245?

Sorry, just confused here.

my cobra r's are 17x9 and i have nitto drags 275/45/17 and my tires rub in the rear on a big bump or a very sharp turn...its not real bad though and if i were to go with a smaller tire i dont think i would like them as much....they stick out away from the car maybe a 1/4 of an inch but it makes the car look really tough :cool:

Last edited:
The wheels are 16x9 Boyd Coddington one off customs

Tires in front are 225/50/16 which measure 9.9" across for the footprint. The rear tires arer 245/50/16 which measure 10.8" footprint

Kyle, what size tires are you running up front?

Micahdogg used to have 315's out back on his 17x9" wheels. It looked cool, HUGE tread patch.

Scott Long said:
Kyle, what size tires are you running up front?

Micahdogg used to have 315's out back on his 17x9" wheels. It looked cool, HUGE tread patch.

nitto 275/45/17 drag radials in the rear and 275/45/17 in the front also and they dont rub at all....but the rears rub like a s.o.b :confused: :cool:

Re: ...

Looks like 9" is max. without any mods. needed.. That's pretty good !
And the tires.. Dunlop is probably the widest. (245/50 16) :)

.. I guess with the 9" rims & drag radials.. It'll be good enough to run 11s .
But any lower , I probably have to do some mods. Then I don't think the 3.8L could be done out to put out 700hp anyways.

Last edited:
I had 17 X 9 cobra R's with 315 35 drag radials for a little while. It was a little too extreme. I now have 18 X 10's with 285 35's. Pics are in my member page.

BTW...7 inch wide rims are good enough for 11's. Heck Chris Wise ran 11's with just drag radials and stock SC wheels.

Micah

Brabus

This BraBus Mercedes at Petit Le Mans, Road Atlanta, Brasilton, GA
this weekend had some good looking wheels & tires.

Front 255/30/ r20's
Rears 295/25/ r20's

Tire pressure must be critical at this low a profile.

Attachments

• Brabus1.JPG
    Brabus1.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Brabus2.JPG
    Brabus2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Brubus3.JPG
    Brubus3.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Brabus4.JPG
    Brabus4.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 110
  • BraBus5.JPG
    BraBus5.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Micahdogg those tires dont require an mod to fit under your car. I am wanting to go with the Firehawk SZ50 EP with UNI-T AQ in a P275/40R18
so that they are the same as the stock tires height wise. But I can do the cobra brake and hub upgrade at the same time. They offer them in a 17in size but they are much lower then stock in ride height and would drastically change my speedo and the 18in wont. I had SZ50's on my other S/C but when I bought them you could still get them in a large selection and 16in near stock was one off them. They handled better then any tire I have ever tryed and my brother was amazed at how they even held better then his Goodyear Gatorbacks like they run on vettes in his 79 T/Am that had a vette custom front suspension under it with the figerglass leafs. But I dont want to have to do any cutting of fenderwells to achieve my goals. I would however consider a swaybar mod if need be to make this size tire work. I was reading your car info and not knowing how to measure everything and was wondering if just going with what you have as far as rim sizes would be the best way to stay outta trouble. Are can anyone tell me how to figure this before hand so I dont have to put spares on it and take it to a tire shop and have them do all the mesureing for me. I dont think a week on Mustang donut tires would be fun at all....but would make for good laughs with pictures.

Front = 18 X 8.5, +25mm offset with 5.73" backspace
Rear = 18 X 10, +20mm offset with 6.28" backspace

The only mod I did was to install airbags ($65) in the rear coil springs. I did this mod a while ago to reduce wheel hop, but now I just keep some air in them to keep the tires from contacting the wheelwell. If your suspension squats enough the tire will rub the wheel well, but even with my 17 X 9's and 275 40's in back the tires would rub the wheelwell. So it's the same issue.

No other mods required....the wheel even clears the e-brake cable.

Micah

Big%20meat%202.jpg

That's 285/40/17s. Much bigger could fit, but I don't see any reason for going bigger besides looks and I would need a different offset.

Russell

Has anyone tried running 245/50/17 tires? According to the tire size calculator, that size is almost exactly same height as stock. I would imagine that size would cost a bit more since it isn't common though.

edit: nevermind, found a few pics of people using this size. Evidently most don't go with this size because of lack of choices/price.

Last edited:
Back