Intercooler Fan

I put a fan on my car, it pulls thru. I pulled the air off with the condenser put on the fan and picked up almost a half a second. My car runs high comptrssion and the intake charge was getting really hot. I cant tell you how mush you will pick up on a setup.

idea-

has anyone thought of removing the fins off the AC condenser directly in front of the stock IC? would that diminish AC performance too much? i think that it would significantly improve air access to the IC while retaining most of the AC's functionality.

Removing AC condenser fins

This is a bad idea unless you like playing with the various components in your
AC system. The condenser, compressor, evaporator, etc., are designed to work as a system. With this said, once you alter the temp drop across the condenser (remove cooling fins) the dynamic changes and you'll need to adjust other components (orifice tube, compressor pulley etc.) to compensate for the modification.
If you've converted to 134a or are considering it, I'd seriously suggest rethinking this particular plan....

Bill

you know i was talking about only the small portion of fins on the condenser directly in front of the IC, not the entire thing.

it seems that if the majority of the fins left (like 75% or 3/4 across) it wouldn't really hurt AC that much because the part that has no fins would be like additional tubing- it would just slightly reduce the condensor's cooling effect. but you know what... i don't know enough about the technical properties of AC to really prove what i just said- i still think it's worth a try.. it's not like AC will just stop working- it won't get as cold though.

Last edited:
Callmewhitexr7 said:
I was just wondering does the intercooler fan push air or pull it? and what kinda gains are seen with it?

NICK

Just to answer your question, if you buy the 800 cfm variety 8" fan, it can be wired as either push or pull. You will see small gains off your best, but more than that you will see consitancy at the track.

i just realized that i may have hijacked this thread. i apologize to the originator- not my intention to do that. i get a little excited about SC topics.

Yeah good question, I've always wondered about those fans. How good do they work? I bought one a few years ago, and saw it and figured this won't work, so I sold it. Has anyone ever done a test to see air temps before a fan, then after? or with it on, then off?

Last edited:
It is actually a good mod. I don't know if you will really gain much from it but if I turn my off for some reason and forget to turn it back on, I notice it after a few hard pulls. The first pull won't change but after a while the stuff gets heat soaked. The fan does help to fight this.

That is my opinion.

This is a very good mod for the start stop city driving in the summer.
I DEFINATELY notice a difference when I am tooling around town or through the never ending orange barrels pokey slow. The HP drops off after just a few minutes of slow driving. There is an excellent article in the SC Literature Section of this site. I have an intercooler fan that I plan on installing after I replace the engine mounts.
Check this out...
http://www.sccoa.com/articles/cwintercooler.php
:cool:

Re: ...

There's a technical write up in detail on the Intercooler fan at Magnum power
Website. www.magnumpowers.com Click on technical then Intercooler system. I think you'll be getting one after you read it.

Back