need knew coil pack and ignition module.

shultzy321

i recently found out that the reason my 93 sc is driving like crap is because i need a new coil pack and ignition module. does anyone know the best place to get those for the best price?

I would

doubt you need both ...one of the DIS faults ..comes up as a bad #4 coil ..but is only a DIS fault ..and not a coil fault....coil check
1..measure for volts on red/green strip wire to coil terminal @ harness plug to ground..key on should be near 12 volts
2..@ coil terminal measure[resistance] ohms [harness disconected and key off]..from supply voltage pin @ in the coil ..the one the red/green goes to.... to the 3 sets coil pins ..one at a time of course..in the coil... .ohms should be in the 0.3 to 1.6 ohms range
on each of the 3 pins tested...that's the primary side of the coil..test
3..secondary side of coil test ..is measuring ohms across the spark plug wire terminals in there firing pairs.. so measure across #1 and #5 ,,,#2 and #6,,,#3 and#4 ...and ohms should be in the 13 to 14 K ....dave

Also check for a short between any of the pins and terminals on the coil pack and its case.

Hey Schultzy, Merc is right, it is not always the coil as I found out. Now I have an extra and I can mail it up if you want to try it out before buying one, or there's a lot of other SC'ers up in Seattle area that could drive one by to you. If you change your DIS Module, don't forget new heat sink compound underneath of it. Wouldn't want to fry your new DIS without heat sink.

Yes. The good old coil pack.. I'm waiting form someone to show me one that has actually gone bad ;) ;) The reason they are assumed to be bad is the code and code description which says "coil circuit failure"... its easy to see the first and last words of that statement and overlook "circuit".

Due to the fact a coil is just that (a wire wound tightly in a spiral), they don't tend to ever fail except through impact and overloading.. the ignition circuit can't overload them by itself. It takes something really wrong for that to happen. :cool:

Oh, and there are plenty of parts available on the parts forums; should be able to pick up a DIS/ICM from someone there. I'm getting a spare from myself just to have for backup.

Last edited:
Back