Chipped Piston

SCownerIL

Well, making some progress on my Bird ... but when my dad was pressing the rods into the new pistons, one of the pistons slipped and got chipped. He thought about ordering a new piston, but his friends at work said that he'd probably have to buy a new set, since they were probably weighted to be a set. They then proceeded to tell him to just file it down so that it's not sharp, but I think that would still be off-balance, and eventually eat a hole in my cylinder. Anyone have any idea what would really happen, and if it is possible to buy just one piston? Thanks.

SCownerIL said:
Well, making some progress on my Bird ... but when my dad was pressing the rods into the new pistons, one of the pistons slipped and got chipped. He thought about ordering a new piston, but his friends at work said that he'd probably have to buy a new set, since they were probably weighted to be a set. They then proceeded to tell him to just file it down so that it's not sharp, but I think that would still be off-balance, and eventually eat a hole in my cylinder. Anyone have any idea what would really happen, and if it is possible to buy just one piston?
How badly was the piston damaged? Is this a race motor, balanced to 1/2 the weight of a dollar bill? If this is a daily driver & the piston isn't deformed, Or a huge chunk isn't missing from it, then it'll be OK to "adjust" it.

Why don't you weigh all your pistons to see how close they really are? You'd be surprized how "loose" a detroit balance really is!!!!!!

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
How badly was the piston damaged? Is this a race motor, balanced to 1/2 the weight of a dollar bill? If this is a daily driver & the piston isn't deformed, Or a huge chunk isn't missing from it, then it'll be OK to "adjust" it.

Why don't you weigh all your pistons to see how close they really are? You'd be surprized how "loose" a detroit balance really is!!!!!!

68COUGAR

I'll try to get a pic of it, but no, it's just a daily driver. The chip isn't that bad, but I was just afraid of a possible problem in the future.

Back