lucas oil stabilizer?

resmn12

i am thinking of running it in my next oil change. what i want to know is how much to use and does it help out at all? how many of you guys and gals are using it and what do you think of it? i heard storys of it foaming up. let me know what you guys think.

resmn12 said:
i am thinking of running it in my next oil change. what i want to know is how much to use and does it help out at all? how many of you guys and gals are using it and what do you think of it? i heard storys of it foaming up. let me know what you guys think.

My company sells Lucas products and I beleive they are an outstanding product. The oil stabilizer has a high viscosity and when you replace one of your quarts with it will increase the viscosity of the oil you are adding. It is a lot like adding STP or Motor Honey. If you have a lot of miles on your engine it is probably going to be worth it.
Ken

John Kerry Statement

kenewagner said:
My company sells Lucas products and I beleive they are an outstanding product. The oil stabilizer has a high viscosity and when you replace one of your quarts with it will increase the viscosity of the oil you are adding. It is a lot like adding STP or Motor Honey. If you have a lot of miles on your engine it is probably going to be worth it.
Ken
You say that the product has a high viscosity, then you say that it's like STP or Motor Honey, which has a low viscosity. So which is it?

Have you ever talked to an engine mechanic whose had to rebuild an engine which had STP or Motor Honey in it? You won't like what they have to say!!!!!!

68COUGAR

resmn12 said:

It is recommended you add 20% at your oil change. If you were running 10 40 oil it would change viscosity to about 15 40. Lucas has a customer hot line for questions and information about their products. It is 1 800 342-2512. Call and make your own discision on the product. Hopes that helps

Let's go back to step one - what is the problem with your engine that you think the Lucas oil stabilizer might fix? If we knew that it would be easier to respond.

BTW I am typically very skeptical of additives and similar products, many of which make some pretty unbelievable claims about their usefulness. In many cases these products cause more problems than they solve. However I'm not familiar with the Lucas product and haven't used it, so I can't really comment on it specifically. It might work great for all I know.

Rob Noth said:
Let's go back to step one - what is the problem with your engine that you think the Lucas oil stabilizer might fix? If we knew that it would be easier to respond.

BTW I am typically very skeptical of additives and similar products, many of which make some pretty unbelievable claims about their usefulness. In many cases these products cause more problems than they solve. However I'm not familiar with the Lucas product and haven't used it, so I can't really comment on it specifically. It might work great for all I know.

Well, a lot of us uneducated folks (read: ME!) tend to give SOME credit to the outrageous claims. No, I don't think Slick 50 can let your engine run without oil or while a guy is hosing the engine down like the commercial but the "smoothing cylinder walls with minute compounds" or whatever IS possible since we don't know better.

I'd bet he just thinks his engine would run a little better rather than having any problem that needs fixing. It's how I think anyway. 10 years ago I had no one to ask when I put a quart of Slick 50 in. Noticed no difference, so never did it again but didn't hurt anything as far as I know.

Ignorance can be costly, but so can trust. We trust products and dealerships (FU Dan Pfeiffer Lincoln Mercury) to do us right. This Lucas crap, can it hurt?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack with a rant. :)

Last edited:
Learned the hard way!

Theres so much crap out there I couldn't make 20" spinner rim from a 13" knock-off hubcap( guys, just shoot me dead if I ever get caught rolling with that junk on my car).

My suggestion is run what the pros use. I know Royal Purple is right on the money as far as lube properties. Mobil 1 is just as good as F1 race teams swear by it.

haven't used it, and I think I have a good reason not to. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but here goes. Most of us have seen that little display in the stores, the one with the gears. Spin the one with strait oil in it, and all the gears get lubricated. Spin the one with the percentage of Lucas in it, you get this film stretched out from the gears. That tells me a number of things. One, it consists mostly of polymer, or heavy oil, or some mixture of the two. This tells me it wont be good for your bearings unless they're shot, in which case it MIGHT be of some benefit, as it might increase your oil pressure to a workable point for another few miles. Second, these gears spin at a max of about 100 rpm. Your engine, on the other hand, spins much faster. Think about how much foam that stuff must be making in the crankcase if it makes that much film on those gears going that slow. Now theres probably enough oil in there for it to get mostly separated out at lower engine speeds so the oil pump picks up pure oil, but I dont want my engine sucking foam at 4500 rpm. Agree or disagree, this is why I dont use it. That and the only thing that belongs in the crankcase is oil of the right viscosity.

i not saying that anything wrong with my car the cougar but it has 147,000 on it and it is up for its first oil change since i got it. i just thought i would and an additive since i have no idea how it has been treated. lucas was the first one i thought of since alot of guys i know use it in there over the road trucks and have had there oil analized and have had good reports with it.i was just wanting to get some of your opinions. i thought maybe someone out there was running this in there car. thanks for your input. i will call lucas and ask them for some info on there products. i will share the info i get with you guys if anyone is interested. thanks guy .....see you at the track.

Re: Store Dislplay

tbirdboy said:
Most of us have seen that little display in the stores, the one with the gears. Spin the one with strait oil in it, and all the gears get lubricated. Spin the one with the percentage of Lucas in it, you get this film stretched out from the gears.
"Percentage" of Lucas? That looks like straight lucas to me.

68COUGAR

I think Lucas Oil Treatment is a great product. I will go as far and say I highly recommend this product for almost every engine. It works great and I use it every oil change in my Peterbilt with a Caterpillar 3406e. That being said, however, I DON'T recomend it for our motors. The reason is that I wanted to produce better oil pressure in my 93 S/C after I rebuilt the engine and I put in Mobile One in a 20/50 weight with the best filter I thought I could find at the time. After my then wife and current 93 S/C owner started complaining of a bad miss, sputter, hesitation, you name it in the engine and asked what I had changed to make the car run so much worse. I had done nothing but the oil. I couldnt believe that the oil thickness could cause such a drastic problem. I mean it worked fine for all the N/A Ford moters I have had over the years. I have never owned anything but a Ford car period for myself. So,
I changed the oil after pulling my hair out but didnt change the filter. I figured if it helped it was the oil if not and I changed the filter then it was the filter. Well, I am here to tell ya it was the oil. I contined to use those filters as long as I had the car and never had anymore trouble outta it as long as I stayed with the factory oil reccomendation. So, I would be leary of anything that might raise the vecosity on our motor, and anyone with insite on why our moters are so oil picky I would love to here from them on it.

BTW. I removed the oil cooler on the motor after the overhaul so it wasnt getting any restriction there.

I run redline synthetic 10w30 and just fill the oil filter with Lucas stabilizer. Helped my oil pressure at idle and engine runs great.

Royal Purple lubricants are great!

I have used RP engine, transmission and gear lubricants for the past 10 years without a failure of any type. I use them in my cars, SUV, farm tractors (both gas and diesel) and my go fast boat. I normally run the cars and SUV 10,000 miles between oil changes, however, I change the filter every 2,500 miles. RP also makes racing oil for the pros - NASCAR, marine racers and drag racers. Suggest you visit their website: www.royalpurple.com. If you want a superior synthetic lubricant with only one additive - RP patented Synerlec - RP is worth looking at. My $.02 worth.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73mm CL MAF (Blue Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants and Rear Spring Air Bags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Under-drive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 38# Injectors, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76mm CL MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, Royal Purple Lubricants, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Pro-Torque 2500 Stall TC, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Tokico Struts & Shocks, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Tires and 235 RWHP with 315 LB-FT Torque.

Back