Ignition switch intermediate link replacement

69 Sportroof

Earlier this week my key turned a little "funny". Monday morning, running late and the car starts but the ignition switch goes into "free wheeling" mode.Can't shut the car off.Great. Go under the hood, pull the ignition module fuse and she dies.Ok.Unhook the negative battery terminal because I know I'm in for an ordeal with the steering column/wheel and don't feel like getting punched in the face by the air bag.Figure the lock cylinder wore out.Get a new one from Ford,installed and you can feel that the linkage isn't working the main switch down below.I'm about ready to pull the column to see if I can repair the link between the lock cylinder and the switch or get one from Ford.Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair? '95 T-Bird LX.

69 Sportroof said:
Earlier this week my key turned a little "funny". Monday morning, running late and the car starts but the ignition switch goes into "free wheeling" mode.Can't shut the car off.Great. Go under the hood, pull the ignition module fuse and she dies.Ok.Unhook the negative battery terminal because I know I'm in for an ordeal with the steering column/wheel and don't feel like getting punched in the face by the air bag.Figure the lock cylinder wore out.Get a new one from Ford,installed and you can feel that the linkage isn't working the main switch down below.I'm about ready to pull the column to see if I can repair the link between the lock cylinder and the switch or get one from Ford.Does anyone have any experience with this type of repair? '95 T-Bird LX.
it is fairly easy. I would, however get some kind of manual. it could have broken one of three parts:
...Pinion gear. this part connects DIRECTLY to the key cylinder. Possible, but not likely.
...Rack. connected to the pinion, connects Pinion to the switch actuator. Maybe.
...Switch actuator. goes between rack and switch. PROBABLY what is broken.
Unfortunately, all but the pinion gear require disassembly of the column.

To replace this part,do I just separate the tilt column at the joint with the big torx screws,or am I going to have to remove the entire column? :confused:

69 Sportroof said:
To replace this part,do I just separate the tilt column at the joint with the big torx screws,or am I going to have to remove the entire column? :confused:
I think it is easiest to remove the column, and put it in a vise, but yes, you must seperate the column at the joint.

Back