Aligned car today... no pull but corners worse... camber specs?

scbird94

Today i aligned my 94 SC 5spd to the alignment machines specs and it actually handles worse, but does not pull.... is there supposed to be a negative camber spec for better cornering? I dont know if there are different specs for lx and sc, the machine didnt specifiy....

Dylan Roth
94 SC 5spd Silver
94 LX Maroon
95 GMC Sonoma HighRider

Here is what I found for a 1993 SC. Not sure if it matches the 95.

Specifications

Front Caster Angle
Limits +4.75 to +6.25°
Desired +5.5°

Front Camber Angle
Limits -1.25 to +0.25°
Desired -0.5°

Total Toe-In 1/16 in
Toe Out on Turns

Outer Wheel 19.73°
Inner Wheel 20°

Ball Joint Wear [01]
Rear Camber Angle

Limits -1 to 0°
Desired -0.5°

Maximum Difference (Left Minus Right)

Limits -.5 to +.5°
Desired 0°

Total Toe-In 1/16 in

You might have already done this but check your upper and lower ball joints. Worn front ball joints can be a cause for your handling problem. Also the rear upper control arm bushing at the subframe if origional could be bad. The only way to check the rear upper for failure is to unbolt it from the knuckle and check for play. If you remove the upper control arm dissassemble it and repack it with grease if it is not worn. Then realign the car.

rear-UCA.JPG

Without seeing before and after specs from the alignment it is too hard to guess what might have happened. Keep in mind that best cornering and best wear are two different things. A very negative camber setting and toe-out will corner like crazy but it will also ruin tires.

I certainly hope that the alignment shop checked the suspension components prior to charging you for an alignment. One would expect all the components to be good.

Back